Nagios 4.2.3 Crash every few hors

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Mike-sbg

Re: Nagios 4.2.3 Crash every few hors

Post by Mike-sbg »

If anybody hast the same problem, I found something interesting to ease the problem:

When you set the following parameter in the broker config of Nagios:

Code: Select all

broker_module=/usr/lib64/check_mk/livestatus.o /var/log/pnp4nagios/mklivestatus  thread_stack_size=100000000
it crashes not so often and due to "top" it doesn't use much more memory.

With this configuration nagios crashes "only" once a day ...
So it seems that it has something to to, how livestatus uses its memory.

It would really be a big advantage if nagios could integrate livestatus in the core ... a little bit late for a Christmas wish ;-)
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

It sounds like there may be a memory leak somewhere with this version of Core. As it's related to livestatus, you may find better help here - https://mathias-kettner.de/checkmk_livestatus.html

From the page, it mentions Core4 support, but with the specific version of 4.0.2. It may be worth downgrading on your end for now, to get things working properly until further development has happened on either side to improve the NEB modules.
Former Nagios Employee
Mike-sbg

Post by Mike-sbg »

Thank you for the advice.

During the Christmas-Vacaction I tried to let one nagios run with livestatus and a "clone" of this system without livestatus-module enabled.

The one without livestatus works without any problems since Dec 27 ... the one with livestatus crashes every few hours.

So it is clearly what causes the problem ... I'll try to get in contact with the developer of livestatus.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Mike-sbg wrote:I'll try to get in contact with the developer of livestatus.
That sounds like the best short-term solution, but if you have anyone in your organization that can get involved in Nagios Core development, that might be a better longer term solution.

With that said, do you want us to lock this up or leave it open for further discussion?
Mike-sbg

Post by Mike-sbg »

Until now it wasn't possible to get in contact with the livestatus developer :-(

So I'm stuck on Nagios 3.5 ... but I'm looking forward to Nagios 4.3. I hope that there will be anything included like livestatus.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Do you want us to lock this up and then we'll deal with things in a new thread if you have problems with 4.3? If you want to leave this open for community input, we can do that.

One thing I would suggest if you have any issues come up with 3.5: Please mention to us in your first post that you are using 3.5 and upgrading is not an option. I'll probably remember your username, but not everyone will have looked at this thread.
Mike-sbg

Post by Mike-sbg »

I think we can leave this thread open (and lock it)... that anyone who will use the combination of Nagios with livestatus could have the same problems as me.

When Nagios 4.3 will be released I'll try it as soon as possible
By the way: Do you know, when nagios 4.3 will be released?
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Mike-sbg wrote:I think we can leave this thread open (and lock it)...
We don't delete threads. Locking it is closing it. I'll leave it open for now.

4.3 is set for April at https://www.nagios.com/roadmaps/. I would not be shocked if it was sooner, but there isn't a secret internal date that is different (that I know about).
Mike-sbg

Post by Mike-sbg »

Some time has passed ... so I saw that Nagios 4.3.1 has been released.

Has anybody found a stable version of Nagios 4.3 with broker_modul livestatus?
avandemore

Post by avandemore »

Your best resource is to pursue this matter with the maker's of livestatus. We don't write or maintain that software, or do any testing with it.
Previous Nagios employee