check_nis plugin not receiving responses to queries

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kaplan71

check_nis plugin not receiving responses to queries

Post by kaplan71 »

Hi there --

We are running a Nagios 3.3.1 server, which is being deployed to replace an older 3.1.2 server. Part of the process involved importing
the plugins that were in use on the old server to the new one via the Nconf utility. One such item is the check_nis plugin. This plugin
has been proven to work without issue on the older Nagios server, so it was thought it should be able to work like the others on the new
server. The plugin does appear to run without errors on the new server, but when it queries the NIS server, it gets the following error message:
NIS CRITICAL - domain <domainname> not answering 

I have checked the syslog.log log file of the target NIS server for any reference for errors pertaining to the plugin, but there were none. I did a
similar check on the Nagios server, but there were no entries as such in the nagios.log, messages, or syslog files. I also did a restart of the
nrpe daemon on the client to see if that would make a difference, but it did not appear to do so, neither did running the plugin from the command
line yield the desired results.

Does anyone have any idea as to why the script is no longer working? Thanks.