Single Process Starts and Finishes

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
plittlefield

Single Process Starts and Finishes

Post by plittlefield »

How can I monitor when a particular app finishes running that I have started manually?
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Single Process Starts and Finishes

Post by dwhitfield »

We're going to need a lot more information. What version of Core are you using? Was it compiled from source or installed from distro repos? On what OS/version is nagios running? cat /etc/*-release may be of use.

Are you trying to monitor a process on Windows, Linux, or something else? If Windows, be aware that .4.3 of NSClient has a PROCSTATE bug, so you'll need to use .4.4 (or potentially newer, but we have more experience with the .4.x series)
plittlefield

Post by plittlefield »

Nagios Core 3.5.1 from the Ubuntu 14.04.5 repository in a home envionment running on a headless server.

I am trying to monitor the user app HandBrakeCLI which will be started manually.

Sometimes this will run for many hours or days and I would like to know as soon as it stops.

Sure, I could run the command line with a && email "subject" me@myemail but this is not what I want to do.

I currently use Nagios to monitor various aspects of the server and this seemed a good idea.

Thanks in advance.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

You said "I currently use Nagios to monitor various aspects of the server" How are you doing that?
If you have Linux NRPE agent installed you could use that agent and a command to send an alert when it is not running.
If you don't have it installed, take a look at this document for instructions and examples.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... e/NRPE.pdf
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!