Using Argument with Space and Double Quote in check_nrpe

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
phan

Using Argument with Space and Double Quote in check_nrpe

Post by phan »

Hello experts,

I would like to know if there is any way to submit a string of argument that contains space and double quotation to check_nrpe. So for example, my line would be something like:

check_nrpe -H 192.168.0.1 -c nagios_mychecker -a "--userName phan --mode check_error --errorCode "AA 001" --warnThreshold 70 --critThreshold 75"

The double quote and the space are literally part of the strings I am looking for. I could do without the double quote, but omitting the space would cause the script to return too many false findings.
jsmurphy

Re: Using Argument with Space and Double Quote in check_nrpe

Post by jsmurphy »

I'm not 100% sure but something along the lines of "\"AA 001\"" may work... escaping the quotes so they become literal, although if you just want the space; what you have already done should work.
phan

Post by phan »

Hi,

I did try the escape backslash, but that did not work unfortunately.

What I had would work if I just execute the script by itself, but as soon as I put the parameters in the -a switch of check_nrpe, it doesn't work.
jsmurphy

Post by jsmurphy »

Oh I see I missed the first set of quotes... does single quoting the inner set work? I.e. 'AA 001' instead
phan

Post by phan »

Tried the single quote around the parameter value, didn't work either.

Tried the single quote around the entire sentence to be passed to the -a switch, didn't work either.

Tried to put the double quote around the $ARGS1 in nrpe.cfg, but that did not work either.

So I ended up hardcoding the parameter value in my script to bypass that, but I am sure there should/need to be a way to get around this.
dpqmw80

Post by dpqmw80 »

space and double quotes work fine. you have to take care of single quotes, either exclude them or replace them with two double quotes at a time.
jsmurphy

Post by jsmurphy »

Escaping parameters with the back slash does and should work... I'm just not sure why it's not behaving as expected in this instance :( .

At any rate at least you've found a solution for the time being.