Check_exi command setup

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
scheema31

Check_exi command setup

Post by scheema31 »

Hi,

im trying to monitor my esxi host using check_exi command but im getting errors.
here is what ive done so far:
1. install dependency yum install perl-Pod-Perldoc perl-CPAN openssl-devel to /usr/bin, all installed but one gave this warrning about a module:
Socket6 0.23 or newer
IO::Socket::INET6 2.71 or newer
2. downloaded and extracted tar zxvf VMware-vSphere-Perl-SDK-<version-number>.tar.gz to /root/vmware-vsphere-cli-distrib
3. run the /vmware-insatll.pl
4. downloaded check_esx3.pl from https://exchange.icinga.com/exchange/check_esx3
5. put the file in my /nagios/libexec folder
6. setup the command:

Code: Select all

define command{
		command_name check_esx_cpu
		command_line $USER1$/check_esx $ESXUSER$/check_esx -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u $ESXUSER$ -p $ESXPASSWORD$ -l cpu -s usage -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ }
7. setup check command:

define service{ 
	use 			Generic-services 
	host_name 		SV-VMHOST-02.baynet.local
	service_description 	CPU Load check_command
	check_command 		check_esx_cpu!80!90
}
7. setup username and password in resource file
- when running the check through browser i get following error (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)
- when running the check from my linux box i get error /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/perl5/auto/XML/LibXML/Common/Common.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr

what am i missing here

thanks,
tgriep
Madmin

Re: Check_exi command setup

Post by tgriep »

The command line looks like it is not configured correctly and that is causing the issue.
Try editing the command_line and change the following from

command_line $USER1$/check_esx $ESXUSER$/check_esx -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u $ESXUSER$ -p $ESXPASSWORD$ -l cpu -s usage -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ }
to

command_line $USER1$/check_esx3.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u $ESXUSER$ -p $ESXPASSWORD$ -l cpu -s usage -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ }
Make sure the perl script is still called check_esx3.pl in the libexec folder, adjust it if necessary.
Save the settings and restart nagios by running

service nagios restart
If you still have problems, provide a screen capture of the error and the output of the plugin when run from the command line.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
scheema31

Post by scheema31 »

Thanks for the update tgriep,

I updated the the command name to check_esx3.pl and updated the command line as you suggested:

command_line $USER1$/check_esx3.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u $ESXUSER$ -p $ESXPASSWORD$ -l cpu -s usage -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ }
Saved it and restarted nagios
However im still getting same error on my browser and when running the command on the server - please see attached screen shots.
is there maybe a dependency plugin i may be missing or needs to be updated?

Thanks!
Attachments
error on server
error on server
nagios2.png (7.14 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
Error on Webpage
Error on Webpage
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Yes, it looks like there are missing prerequisites that the plugin needs, run the following as root and see if this will install them.

yum install perl-Nagios-Plugin libuuid* perl-XML-LibXML -y
Then run the plugin from a command prompt to see if the plugin runs without any errors.
If it is good, then the check should work for you in Nagios.
scheema31

Post by scheema31 »

okay awesome looks like some progress but still issue.
1. Ran the yum command to install/update missing prerequisites - all ran successfully
2. Ran command on server and got diffrerent error this time, looks like an issue with checking check_esx3.pl file:

[root@someserver ~]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_esx3.pl  sv-vmhost-02
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_esx3.pl line 238.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_esx3.pl line 238.
Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_esx3.pl line 242.
Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_esx3.pl line 242.
Here is the output of those lines in check_esx3.pl file:

Line #
234 sub validate_dataType {
235     my @validDataType = ("VMmem", "VMcpu", "HostMem", "HostCpu", "Datastore");
236     my $isvalid = 0;
237     foreach (@validDataType) {
238        if ($_ eq Opts::get_option ('dataType')) {
239           $isvalid = 1;
240    }
241  }
242  if ( Opts::get_option ('warning') > Opts::get_option ('critical') ) {
243    $isvalid = 0;
244    print "critical should be grather than warning\n";
245  }
246  return $isvalid;
247  }
248  return $isvalid;
249  }
Also on web page it now shows a different error:
(Return code of 255 is out of bounds)

Thanks!
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

You are going to have to upload that plugin here so we can view it?
There are a lot of revisions to that plugin and the lines that are giving you the error message do not exist in the version I have running.
The version I am using is in the link below. Version 0.7.1
https://github.com/shinken-monitoring/p ... er/libexec
scheema31

Post by scheema31 »

I have attached the check_esx.pl file to view.
will i be able to edit it to make work or should i use the file you are testing with? if so please instruct on how i can go about reinstalling.

Thanks tgriep!
Attachments
check_esx3.pl
check_esx3.pl File
(7.55 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

I ran the plugin that you uploaded and when you don't specify the options like the --hostIP, --warning, --critical,m etc., it will print out those messages so if you define your command with all of the required options, it should work for you.
scheema31

Post by scheema31 »

hmm i think im trying that but same result, is this how you are testing on your server?

[root@someserver ~]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_esx3.pl --hostIP 10.10.xx.xx --username xxxx --password xxxx
should this not be enough to make a simple check? 
Thanks,
scheema31

Post by scheema31 »

okay i think ive made some progress, sorry i wasnt using the correct options before.
this is what i have but its a diffrerent errror now:

[root@someserver ~]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_esx3.pl --hostIP 10.10.xx.xx --dataType VMcpu --username xxxx --password xxxx --warning 80 --critical 90
length() used on @array (did you mean "scalar(@array)"?) at /usr/lib64/perl5/IO/Compress/Zlib/Extra.pm line 198.
thanks!