Record high consumption of cpu and ram

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
9acca9

Record high consumption of cpu and ram

Post by 9acca9 »

Hello.
I wanted to know if I can receive information from a server with Nagios. What interests me is to have a record of when the server reaches a high consumption of cpu and ram, knowing which processes are using it at that time.
Greetings and thanks
rkennedy

Re: Record high consumption of cpu and ram

Post by rkennedy »

You could, but it would require building some sort of intermediate for communication. In the past, I wrote a few short 'scripts' that could run on linux / windows, and were then triggered based on event handlers to log the data locally. I didn't build anything for 'transmitting' the data back to Nagios. Take a look at this forum post - https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 30#p167539
Former Nagios Employee
9acca9

Post by 9acca9 »

Hi.
Thanks.
Ok, it's not important to me that nagios receive the information... i can see the log in the server.
I look the scripts, but how i can triggered?? it's possible triggered when the cpu and ram is high?? or that's impossible and wil be in lapse of time?
Thank you, and sorry for my english.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

9acca9 wrote:sorry for my english.
No problem. It's a lot better than my...well, anything.

So, event handlers were already mentioned, but here's the link: https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... dlers.html

There are a number of things that will determine how much time passes, but if the server isn't doing much it should be pretty close to real-time.

I also wonder if your question is a little more basic. Are you just asking to monitor the cpu and RAM? How you would do this would depend on the server. What type(s) of servers are you looking to monitor?