Nagios Event Log NSCLIENT help

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mcapra

Re: Nagios Event Log NSCLIENT help

Post by mcapra »

I'm confused, it looks like you shared the definition for the check_eventlog command, yet have configured your service to use check_win_nrpe. Just so we're on the same page, which command are you intending to leverage for your check?
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
me@work55

Post by me@work55 »

Note

On my network at home tried the same commands and services get the same results

On the one server I cleared the event log and then it was OK

Then an application information event 6013 caused it to go critical again I m not checking for informational messages

Thoughts
me@work55

Post by me@work55 »

Code: Select all

# Use for nrpe ( windows checking)
define command{
        command_name    check_win_nrpe
        command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ $ARG2$
        }
me@work55

Post by me@work55 »

mcapra

check this one out might help you understand this

https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... =7&t=42127
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

Does using a list rather that setting the severity directly in the filter affect your results? If I fictitiously generate an error, I get this:

[root@xi-stable ~]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 192.168.67.99 -p 5666 -c checkeventlog   -a file=application MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 "filter=generated > -1h AND severity in ('warning', 'error')"
Desktop Window Manager, ???|'count'=1;1;1
[root@xi-stable ~]# echo $?
Which is a very different result that using the format of -a file=system MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 "filter=generated > -1h AND severity = 'error' OR severity = 'warning'". It looks as if your service definition should be altered to use the check_eventlog command instead since that uses the same filter format.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
me@work55

Post by me@work55 »

Are you saying do not use the check nrpe?

Can you give me an example of that you mean?

I tried this and no good

define command{
command_name check_eventlog
command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 5666 -t 30 -c CheckEventLog -a filter file=application MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 "filter=generated lt -1h AND severity NOT IN ('success', 'informational')" unique descriptions "syntax=%source% {EventID %id%}[%severity%](Count=%count%)^MDate:%generated%^M%message%^M"
}

define service{
        use                     generic-service
        host_name               metro-12r2-ltdb
        service_description     Windows System Event Log
        servicegroups           Event_Logs
        is_volatile             0
        check_period            24x7
        max_check_attempts      3
        normal_check_interval   5
        retry_check_interval    1
        contact_groups          win-admins
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    w,u,c,r
        check_command           check_eventlog -a file=system MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 "filter=generated > -1h AND severity = 'error' OR severity = 'warning'"

#       check_command           check_win_nrpe!checkeventlog! -a file=system MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 "filter=generated > -1h AND severity = 'error' OR severity = 'warning'"
}

Checking services...
Error: Service check command 'check_eventlog -a file=system MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 "filter=generated > -1h AND severity = 'error' OR severity = 'warning'"' specified in service 'Windows System Event Log' for host 'metro-12r2-ltdb' not defined anywhere!
        Checked 1063 services.
me@work55

Post by me@work55 »

I just tried modifying the service changing > to < no change

Changed the nsclient.ini from gt -2d to gt -1h no change.

The service is working to an extent the problem is that it is reading the entire event log system or application it is not only checking the last hour

Also I see some informational events listed I only and checking for warnings and errors

Thoughts

Tom
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

This probably won't directly solve your problem but I would be remiss if I did not mention it. We developed a product called Nagios Logserver to address the issues with using Core + NSClient / NRPE to monitor logs. It works passively so you get it much closer to real-time, and the product is designed specifically to work well with parsing logs and pulling out certain fields. I would strongly advise checking it out, and if you still prefer to use Core afterward, we can continue troubleshooting that.
Former Nagios employee
me@work55

Post by me@work55 »

I tried that product and did not like it

I need this to work correctly

this is a Nagios issue
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

The problem is actually with the syntax, or NSClient++ - Nagios is only presenting the information. You may have better luck creating a thread over here directly - https://forums.nsclient.org/

If you try another version, does it work successfully? check_eventlog appears to be the newer version at this point, while checkeventlog is deprecated. This page may help you out - https://docs.nsclient.org/reference/win ... kEventLog/
Former Nagios Employee