Setting up Email Notifications

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cphsl1530

Setting up Email Notifications

Post by cphsl1530 »

I am new to this forum and Nagios core. I have not been able to set up email notifications. I have followed some instructions I followed online but I still have not been able to get email notifications. Where can i find comprehensive instructions for this. I am using Ubuntu server 16.04.
rkennedy

Re: Setting up Email Notifications

Post by rkennedy »

What problems have you had so far? Notifications are built in, and defined in your commands.cfg. They may be referencing the wrong mail application, which you can confirm by looking at the command line for this, as well as 'which mail' on your system.

The log file it'll debug to is more than likely /var/log/maillog - which should provide some insight as to what's going on, and also /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log - this will be verbose based on the notification firing on the Nagios side.
Former Nagios Employee
cphsl1530

Post by cphsl1530 »

Thanks, I am using Postfix. I looked at the logs and forwarded the information to my email admin. It looks like my Nagios server is trying to connect.
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Got it - let us know if you need any further assistance on the Nagios portion!
Former Nagios Employee
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Just checking in since we have not heard from you in a while. Did @rkennedy's post clear things up or has the issue otherwise been resolved?
Former Nagios employee