Host Status Pending

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Gh0stRyd3r

Host Status Pending

Post by Gh0stRyd3r »

I have been running my Core 4.2.4 for several weeks now with a small set of Cisco switches and after updating the config to include all of our switches the Host status has been in pending for the newly added switches for days. If I view from Services all the checks return with OK status and are updating fine. I attempted to purge the retention.dat and now all the host are in pending status(switches, localhost, and windows servers).
rkennedy

Re: Host Status Pending

Post by rkennedy »

I attempted to purge the retention.dat and now all the host are in pending status(switches, localhost, and windows servers).
What exactly did you do? This isn't generally something we recommend.

You may just need to restart the nagios process in order for it to re-write things out properly.
Former Nagios Employee
Gh0stRyd3r

Post by Gh0stRyd3r »

This is what I did and I restarted the services since then. They have been up for over 3hrs and when it reaches the next Host Check schedule it just makes a new one for 1-2 minutes out past the missed/failed Check.
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Can you post a few things for us to review?
- nagios.cfg
- nagios.log
- The host definition for the check that is doing this.
Former Nagios Employee
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Just checking in since we have not heard from you in a while. Did @rkennedy's post clear things up or has the issue otherwise been resolved?
Former Nagios employee
Gh0stRyd3r

Post by Gh0stRyd3r »

Sorry for the delay other projects pulled me away, I've attached the two I know what your asking for as far as host definitions are you meaning the switch.cfg I'm using to populate the list of items to be monitored?

I added the "host" files in case and just using the default commands. I see all of these working on the service tab its only on the Host tab it still says Pending with 32 days attempting.
Attachments
switch.cfg
(48.56 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
nagios.cfg
(43.94 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
nagios.log
(41.93 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

It appears as though your host objects themselves don't have any check_command defined:

Code: Select all

define host{
		host_name			GRN_MDF			; The name we're giving to this switch
		display_name		Cisco 6509-E Chasis	; A longer name associated with the switch
		alias				MDF Switch
		max_check_attempts	5
		contact_groups		admins
		address				172.19.182.2		; IP address of the switch
		hostgroups      	switches                ; Host groups this switch is associated with
		}
This would explain why the host objects are all in a "pending" state; They don't have a check_command to run. This by itself isn't necessarily a problem since you've got some services defined under the host doing richer health assessment. Most users will use a simple ping check for their host's check_command.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
Gh0stRyd3r

Post by Gh0stRyd3r »

Well second dumb mistake. Thanks for the help was beating my head against a wall to figure out what I did wrong.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Was there anything else we can help with on this thread or are we okay to close it?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.