Configure the Map

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
aston

Configure the Map

Post by aston »

Hi Guys Hope your all well

i was wondering how you configure the map, currently all of my hosts are represented on the same "network" i monitor several networks over site to site VPN is there away to display these networks correctly inside nagios to represent the actual setup

any information would be greatly
jsmurphy

Re: Configure the Map

Post by jsmurphy »

Ensure you use the 'parent' directive on your host definitions this will have two benefits:
1. Your map will draw correctly.
2. When a router goes down you won't get an alert for every single host at that site, this is perhaps the more important of the two ;).

If you want to extend your pretty picture capabilities NagVis is a really awesome utility for making custom maps.
aston

Post by aston »

Thanks again JSmurphy il let you know how i get on :)
aston

Post by aston »

Hi JSMurphy

i have taken a look at nagvis and like the look of it and want to use the plugin one question i have is that it wants me to use check_mk which isnt a problem but is this something that i should maybe look to use through out my nagios monitoring ?
jsmurphy

Post by jsmurphy »

that check_mk is sort the equivalent of check_nt or check_nrpe for the mk client instead of nsclient... I think the only reason you would need to use check_mk is if you don't have the NDOUtils database installed. Either way is a valid set up... if you plan to use check_mk then using it through out your environment for nagios would make more sense :)
aston

Post by aston »

Woo Hoo finally got it working

little bit of a miss understanding at first but now NDO2DB and nagvis are working as expected :)