Getting alerts if notifications were off but are now on?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kelemvor

Getting alerts if notifications were off but are now on?

Post by kelemvor »

Howdy,

We had notifications turned off on one of our Nagios setups. We have some things that are showing as critical. I have since turned notifications back on but those items are not alerting. I'm assuming that because the notifications were off when it first had the problem it is now holding onto that setting.

Is there any way to tell these services to start sending out notifications again now that the global notifications are turned back on?

When I open them up, they currently say: Last Notification: N/A (notification 0)

Thanks.
rkennedy

Re: Getting alerts if notifications were off but are now on?

Post by rkennedy »

Could you post your applicable nagios.log with the name of the host / service that this would apply to? Also, post the definition for the object as well. Usually located at /usr/local/nagios/var/ and then /usr/local/nagios/var/archives/ (for rotated days)

If notification_interval was 0, then it would be silenced indefinitely, but if you had a notification_interval of 60, then it should be firing every so often still.

The logs / config will help to see what happened.
Former Nagios Employee
kelemvor

Post by kelemvor »

Ah, looks like someone actually went in and set the contacts to 0s as well. Cleaning that up now and we should be OK.

Thanks.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Please let us know if that does not resolve the issue.