Nagios Core 3.5.1: Nagios Plugins compatibility

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cesthree

Nagios Core 3.5.1: Nagios Plugins compatibility

Post by cesthree »

Hello,

Thank you for making an amazing product!

# question 1
If I am using Nagios Core 3.5.1, is there a limitation on the Nagios Plugins version that can be used? Can I use the latest version without issue?

# question 2
If I intend to use check_by_ssh to run Nagios Plugins on a remote machine (not using nrpe), can I simply copy the plugins to the remote machine? Or, must the plugins be specifically compiled in order to work for the OS?

For example, I have a remote machine running SunOS 5.10 (Oracle 10) which is not capable of downloading pre-compiled Nagios packages from a repository. If I do not need to compile the plugins, and can simply copy them to the machine for use by check_by_ssh, that would be great news.

If not, what would be the minimum packages needed to be installed in order to compile the plugins?

Thanks in advance!
tgriep
Madmin

Re: Nagios Core 3.5.1: Nagios Plugins compatibility

Post by tgriep »

1. The latest plugins should work on a Core 3.5.1 system as long as they are compiled or built for that system, they should work.
2. As long as the systems you are copying the plugins to are fairly close in OS versions, the same architectures and the same libraries are installed , you should be able to copy them over to other systems.
To get a list of requirements, download and extract the plugin tar ball and the details on what you need are in the REQUIREMENTS file.
https://www.nagios.org/downloads/nagios-plugins/
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
cesthree

Re: Nagios Core 3.5.1: Nagios Plugins compatibility

Post by cesthree »

tgriep wrote:1. The latest plugins should work on a Core 3.5.1 system as long as they are compiled or built for that system, they should work.
2. As long as the systems you are copying the plugins to are fairly close in OS versions, the same architectures and the same libraries are installed , you should be able to copy them over to other systems.
To get a list of requirements, download and extract the plugin tar ball and the details on what you need are in the REQUIREMENTS file.
https://www.nagios.org/downloads/nagios-plugins/
That's exactly the information I needed.

I've discovered the 2.1.1 nagios-plugins tar balls in one of our "approved" internal repos--looking forward to compiling for Solaris 10. With any luck, we'll retire those boxes in the next 1-2 years, but it will be nice to have monitoring on them using the "default" Nagios Plugins for some basic service checks.

You can consider this thread closed. Thanks much! :D