How to use Nagios Plugins

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ebutte

How to use Nagios Plugins

Post by ebutte »

I am new to Nagios and struggling to with some basic concept comprehension/configuration issue (I suspect). My manager is out of town and a day of searching the internet hasn't let me to a solution, so I would appreciate a push in the right direction.

As a training exercise, I've added my company provided Windows workstation as a host on our Nagios application. I've successfully installed NSClient++ and am able to monitor various host resources.

Nagios is hosted on a separate Red Hat Linux server that I do NOT have access to. Instead, I manipulate Nagios with the NagiosQL addon.

My question is: Can I use Nagios plugins without having access to the Nagios servers command line and file system? If so, how?

I've visited the Nagios Exchange and picked out a plugin, but without being able to add that file to the Nagios server directly, can I still use plugins?

My current understanding is that the plugin file would normally be saved to the /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/... folder on the Nagios Server - but that is a location I cannot access directly.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
tmcdonald

Re: How to use Nagios Plugins

Post by tmcdonald »

Unfortunately you'll need legitimate access to the Nagios server to upload plugins.
Former Nagios employee
ebutte

Post by ebutte »

I suspected as much. Thank you for the info!
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Was there anything further we can help with or are we okay locking this thread?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.