Nagios Upgrade

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Nagios Upgrade

Postby aajewole » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 am

Hi, I will like to upgrade nagios from 4.1.1 to 4.3.1. We have a lot of custom plugin, commands, resources, nagios.cfg, cgi, eventhandler custom scripts, and scripts that change the notification to on-call staff per SQL database. I will like to keep all this custom features while done with the upgrade. What step do I need to take? Our nagios box is not connected to the internet to do wget, so will manually have to download and copy the source code to the box.

I have 1 production box, 1 backup box, and one dev box with same configuration so I can test the upgrade before actually doing it on production box.
aajewole

Re: Nagios Upgrade

Postby rkennedy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:02 pm

As long as you haven't made any custom changes to the actual Nagios Core components (just your object files as you described) - then you should be fine to upgrade.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ading.html
rkennedy

Postby dwhitfield » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Are you using NDOUtils for your database? Are you using anything like mk-livestatus? Strictly speaking, what @rkennedy says is correct, but we have very little information about your setup at this point.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
dwhitfield
The Doctor

Postby aajewole » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:49 am

Thanks for the reply. No, we havent made any change to any nagios core components. No NDOUtils, we are using the native database, no mk-livestatus. I will say most of our custom changes were made to objects. Thanks
aajewole

Postby mcapra » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:35 pm

You should be fine to upgrade. Object definitions rarely cause issues unless you're switching major versions (eg 3.x to 4.x). If you have the option, I would recommend taking a VM level snapshot of your Nagios Core machine.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!

https://github.com/mcapra/
mcapra
Support Tech

Return to Nagios Core