CRITICAL:Service Check Timed out after....

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
bloodrain161

CRITICAL:Service Check Timed out after....

Post by bloodrain161 »

In the last few days, I have had difficulty monitoring switches / routers. I follow the tutorial:
Https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... uters.html
I have searched many tutorials on the internet but the situation is still not good ............... Looking forward to your help
Here is the error: CRITICAL: (Service check timed out after 60.01 seconds)
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/3798/fojBDR.png
I use nagios core 4.3.1 .
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: CRITICAL:Service Check Timed out after....

Post by scottwilkerson »

The fact that you are getting the message (Service check timed out after 60.01 seconds)

Is indicating that your Nagios server is not getting a response when polling the server via SNMP

You may want to verify that the SNMP device on the Linksys is still working properly and that the community string hasn't been inadvertently changed
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
bloodrain161

Post by bloodrain161 »

scottwilkerson wrote:The fact that you are getting the message (Service check timed out after 60.01 seconds)

Is indicating that your Nagios server is not getting a response when polling the server via SNMP

You may want to verify that the SNMP device on the Linksys is still working properly and that the community string hasn't been inadvertently changed
Thank for your reply... Could you help me fix this like giving some advices about this error. I've been trying to fix it for 3 days now but it hasn't been fixed. Please help me.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I would see if you can run some snmpget or snmpwalk commands from the command line on your Nagios server targeting the linux device to see if you can get a response.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
bloodrain161

Post by bloodrain161 »

I can only snmpwalk on the localhost but not the router.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Page 75: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/doc ... RW224P.pdf

This doesn't sound like a Nagios problem, but a Linksys problem. Are you able to poll SNMP on the linksys device from another Linux machine or...anything?

If you have a Windows desktop, you could try something like https://www.manageengine.com/products/m ... free-tool/ . Once we know that you can get SNMP info from the linksys device, we can dig a little deeper on the Nagios.

Are you able to use SNMP for any other devices from Nagios?
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Turn the SNMP service on, on the router. If you can't SNMP walk then Nagios can't poll information, simple as that.

A good way to check from the Nagios machine if the port is open will be by running a nmap against the router. IIRC, you're looking for port 161 or 162 to be open.
Former Nagios Employee
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Thanks for the assist, @rkennedy!
Former Nagios employee