GUI-Only Contactgroups

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
danjoh

GUI-Only Contactgroups

Post by danjoh »

Is it possible to "disable" Notifications for a specific Contactgroup?

Let my try to explain with a simplified example:

Five Contacts are defined: contact_1, contact_2, contact_3, contact_4 and contact_5
Two Contactgroups are defined: cgroup_1 (contact_1, contact_2 and contact_3) and cgroup_2 (contact_3, contact_4 and contact_5), yes contact_3 is in both groups
Two Hosts are defined: Host_1 (contactgroups=cgroup_1) and Host_2 (contactgroups=cgroup_2)

So, if there is an event on Host_1, cgroup_1 (aka. contact_1, contact_2 and contact_3) gets notified
and alike for Host_2, cgroup_2 gets notified.

What we would like to do is to create a third Contactgroup (or some other construct), with contact_1 and contact_5 in it, that does not "generate" events to the contacts.

What we want to achieve is that when contact_1 log into the GUI he shall be able to see both Host_1 and Host_2 but contact_1 shall only get notifications for his "own" host (in this case Host_1).
contact_2 sees only Host_1 in the GUI and get notifications from Host_1
contact_3 sees Host_1 and Host_2 in the GUI and get notifications for both Hosts
contact_4 sees only Host_2 in the GUI and get notification for Host_2
contact_5 sees Host_1 and Host_2 in the GUI and get notifications for Host_2

As I said before, this is simplified.

Any suggestions on how to achieve something like this within Nagios?
--
D/\N
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: GUI-Only Contactgroups

Post by cdienger »

Are there other hosts(host_3, host_4, etc...) that should remain hidden from contact_1 and contact_5? There is an option to allow users to see all objects but I think it would only be helpful if contact_1 and contact_5 were not restricted to just viewing two hosts.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
danjoh

Post by danjoh »

Yes, that is correct, there are more Hosts and they should be hidden from contact_1 & 5.
I know I can give a user/contact privileges to see everything but that is not what I want.
--
D/\N
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Thanks for clarifying. That's what I was assuming but was holding out hope since it looks like it would make things easier. It may be doable to do what you want but may be, in the words of a colleague, "super hacky" :? . I'll poke around some and let you know what I find.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
danjoh

Post by danjoh »

Yes, I was almost expecting that it would be a BIG hack. :geek:
If you find something it would be great, if not - the world is not going under because of this. :)
--
D/\N
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

We're looking to potentially rework object notifications in 5.x which seems promising for this request, but until then there doesn't seem to be a good solution that wouldn't require some serious custom work.
danjoh

Post by danjoh »

OK, good to know.

You are good to lock this tread at your leisure.

Thanks for your support & keep up the great work.
--
D/\N