Veeam Backup with Nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
tacolover101

Re: Veeam Backup with Nagios

Post by tacolover101 »

FTL wrote:Trying to use Veeam to make a system image backup for restore to similar/bare metal server.

Basically a no go then.

I back up all the config files anyway to an offsite location so in case of restore ive got all my configs but its all the little things, and packages installed over the years that would take ages to remember and re-configure in a server crash scenario i thought it would be nice just to take a system image of it and my whole server with all its bells and whistles would be restored in minutes rather than hours.
due to all the moving temp files in nagios, and how it utilizes flat files, i'm not surprised it hung. the trick to your snapshot is going to be the route you already mentioned i believe.
With Nagios stopped the backup runs through perfectly.
@dwhitfield might be on to something with IO, but i'm no expert in that territory.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

One thing you might try is our 60-day trial of xi. Even if you're not serious about xi it would give you some idea if the database model works better with your backups. Ndoutils is available to core users. You'd have to rearchitect a bit but it's an option.
tacolover101

Post by tacolover101 »

dwhitfield wrote:One thing you might try is our 60-day trial of xi. Even if you're not serious about xi it would give you some idea if the database model works better with your backups. Ndoutils is available to core users. You'd have to rearchitect a bit but it's an option.
regardless of a database, this issue will still exist i believe.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

@FTL, did you have any other questions or did you want to lock it up? It sounds like you have something that will work for you, even if not with veeam.