Varying Checks Based on Time

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
korre

Varying Checks Based on Time

Post by korre »

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Nagios - still picking up things here and there but getting a grasp how everything works fairly quickly.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help suggest a solution to this scenario. We have our host/services being checked every 5 minutes, and retry is set to 3 checks total when a problem is detected 1 minute apart. I was wondering if there was an easy way of setting some type of schedule where the current check interval takes place during the hours of 8AM-8PM, and then outside of those hours, increase the retry count to 2 minutes apart instead of 1. I figured I could create this setup if I were to have duplicate host/service entries, 1 for the 8AM-8PM check, and an additional one monitoring the same host/service outside of those hours at increased retry interval. This method seemed a bit tedious and didn't exactly feel 'clean'. I was hoping there would be a better way I could approach this. The reason I'm looking for such a setup is that during the odd hours of the night, every now and then we have these small blips in the network which last maybe a few minutes at the most, but it triggers an alert which pages our admins, only for them to find out it was a false alarm. I'm hoping by having a different schedule during these hours, this will reduce the amount of false alarms.

Any help would be appreciated.
jsmurphy

Re: Varying Checks Based on Time

Post by jsmurphy »

Unfortunately the only two options really available are to either increase the base resiliency (is it going to matter if there's an extra couple of minutes during business hours?) or to duplicate the service one for out of hours and one for business hours as there's no way to make the check intervals dependent on time period.

I can't think of any other options at the moment.