Relay Monitoring information to a second server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
lamarty

Relay Monitoring information to a second server

Post by lamarty »

Hi,
we have a secure environment which rules doesn't allow external communication, we can only allow communication through a DMZ.
We want to monitor servers in this environment using a Nagios poller, but the security team doesn't want any mean of having a server in the DMZ a server which polls it's configuration from outside, so they asked if we can have a separate install off Nagios that sends polled infos from servers and sends them to the central Nagios so that we can view status in dashboards, is this possible ?
Thank you.
jsmurphy

Re: Relay Monitoring information to a second server

Post by jsmurphy »

The short answer is I don't really know... I know of HA Nagios setups and of Clustered nagios setups but while the question gets asked frequently of proxied Nagios set ups I've never seen a solution in any official capacity. With that said though your security teams requirements are a bit awry... the preference should be to deny all DMZ connections to your core network, not to deny all core network connections to the DMZ.

I believe with Nagios XI (the paid version) that you may be able to use NRDP or NSCA to relay information back to another Nagios XI install but I've never set it up. NSClient++ also has some functionality for sending NSCA information though I have no idea just how extensive that is.