check_mrtgtraf

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jmac727

Re: check_mrtgtraf

Post by jmac727 »

I ran that command and nothing doing. I wasn't sure about what you mean about "make sure you update any of the settings" though.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Verify that the IP address is correct, the community string is correct and that the SNMP version 2 is correct.
Here is the link for the cfgmaker command's options.
http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/cfgmaker.en.html
Have you run the debug command and looked in the /tmp/mrtg.txt file?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jmac727

Post by jmac727 »

Per the advice of someone else, I tried installing this on CentOS instead and I am still getting the same problem. I have no idea where to go from here.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

That is why I suggested using this plugin instead. It doesn't need cron, mrtg, config files, etc.
https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... 64/details
One plugin, one command, worst case, you will need to install some Perl Modules but it should work for you.
jmac727

Post by jmac727 »

I'm just getting very frustrated with this process. This is your default way of checking bandwidth to a port. This is what comes out of the installation. Yet there is almost 0 instruction on how to setup MRTG. The documentation on setting up switch monitoring links to the mrtg website with no official word from Nagios about what steps to take to set this up. Should I be following http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-unix-guide.en.html on setting up MRTG?
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

If you really want to get this going and not use what tgriep has suggested I would download the xi installer and find how the install is done there. Now, that is written for centos but it should still be useful.

XI comes with a 60-day trial so you could just try that and see if it is worth the expense. The free version allows 7 hosts so if this is all you want to do with it, just use xi. Again, xi will not work on Ubuntu.

Also, I think this process would be much less frustrating for you if you set up SSH to your Ubuntu machine rather than having to deal with virtual box. That's not something we can really help you with though. Try Ubuntuforums.org if you need help with the ssh stuff.
jmac727

Post by jmac727 »

I am on CentOS now per your advice. But it still doesn't work. I said that in my previous post.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Can you run the following command as root and post back the /tmp/mrtg.txt file?

Code: Select all

LANG=C LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg -debug=cfg,base &> /tmp/mrtg.txt
jmac727

Post by jmac727 »

Here is the file.
Attachments
mrtg.txt
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
jmac727

Post by jmac727 »

I think I had a typo. Try this one.
Attachments