Bandwidth bidirectional measurement?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jmpeterson

Bandwidth bidirectional measurement?

Post by jmpeterson »

Moderator Edit: This thread has been split from another - https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... =7&t=41997
In the future, please create a new thread and link to the old one instead of adding on.

Hello,

Not sure if anyone is still keeping an eye on this thread but I figured I would give it a try.
I have a Nagios server running with Pnp4Nagios installed. The server is communicating with 3 hosts and I am trying to get this plugin to work.
Admittedly this is my first go at Nagios so I have newbie vision, but I cant figure out how to get Nagios to read the data from check_iperf.pl
As I understand it the plugins go (I am using all default locations)
/usr/local/nagios/libexec
1. If that is the right location how do I get Nagios to read this data?
2. I appended the script to add the performance data..could this be fed into pnp4nagios?
3. If I run $perl check_iperf.pl $hostip the script runs, but would I schedule the tests to the host through Nagios?

I appreciate any and all help!

Best,

John
tacolover101

Re: Bandwidth bidirectional measurement?

Post by tacolover101 »

1. If that is the right location how do I get Nagios to read this data?
2. I appended the script to add the performance data..could this be fed into pnp4nagios?
3. If I run $perl check_iperf.pl $hostip the script runs, but would I schedule the tests to the host through Nagios?
1. create a command definition for it, usually in your commands.cfg - this creates a reference so that nagios understands the correlation between a command name -> file to execute on the file system.
2. possibly, Nagios didn't make pnp4nagios, but assuming the perl script has a |yourvar=100000 (rough example), and you have pnp configured properly, it should pick up on it.
3. see #1 - once you create a command, you need to create a service to assign the command to. this page is pretty handy for examples - https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tions.html
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Thanks @tacolover101 for the help.
Let us know if you have anymore questions.
If the edits were done to the plugin, it should be returning performance data and if it is, then pnp4nagios should catch it and create the graphs for you.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jmpeterson

Post by jmpeterson »

Thank you both for the help! Going to try now and will report back on the results.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

OK, let us know how it works out.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!