Service inherit max_check_attempts from host?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
JL3128

Service inherit max_check_attempts from host?

Post by JL3128 »

I've read the object inheritance manual, but I can't seem to figure out how to make a service inherit max_check_attempts on a per host basis. Basically, I want to define a service with multiple hosts. I don't want to define max_check_attempts in my service template. I want the max_check_attempts attribute to be applied at the host level, then have the service for that host inherit it.

For example hostA might have max_check_attempts set to 3 and hostB might have max_check_attmepts set to 10. Then I define a service and put HostA and HostB in that service. The service then operates with max_check_attempts set to 3 for HostA and 10 for HostB

If I define max_check_attempts at the host level it is inherited for HOST checks, but NOT for SERVICE checks.

With max_check_attempts set in host definition, but not in service definition I get this error:

nagios -v nagios.cfg

<snip>
Error: Invalid max_attempts, check_interval, retry_interval, or notification_interval value for service 'SERVICE' on host 'HOST'
</snip>

Any help, ideas, workarounds, other config options, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running Nagios Core 3.2.1

Thanks!!
jsmurphy

Re: Service inherit max_check_attempts from host?

Post by jsmurphy »

A service cannot inherit definitions from a host, unfortunately not possible. You will need to either use service templates or create multiple services, I can't think of any other way around it at this point in time.