Upgrade nagios 3.5.1 to 4.3.2

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mcapra

Re: Upgrade nagios 3.5.1 to 4.3.2

Post by mcapra »

pintu wrote:I installed nagios from repositories
The configuration of the hosts is in the directory /etc/nagios3/
Then I upgraded nagios to version 4.3.2 and the configuration files of this version 4.3.2 are in the /usr/local/nagios/
but nagios continues to use the old configuration (/etc/nagios3/ not /usr/local/nagios/)
Do you understand my question?
Do you know specifically which repository Nagios Core was initially installed from? That would be massively helpful in understanding potentially what went wrong. I will say this if this is a repository installation and you updated Nagios Core manually, rather than by using your system's package manager (apt, yum, zypper, etc) that will likely cause problems down the road if/when the repository updates their nagios3 package.

There is a very large difference in installing Nagios Core by hand, and installing it via a package. Same goes for any Linux software; You might be able to "upgrade" a PHP version on your machine by hand, but if it was first installed with a package (and not appropriately removed first) then your system's package manager is going to try and "update" the software when the time comes.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Thanks for the assist @mcapra!
pintu

Post by pintu »

OK thanks @mcapra
I'm already reinstalling the server
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Please let us know if you run into any additional issues.
pintu

Post by pintu »

Nagios-nrpe-plugin can I install from repositories?
Does nrpe not install in version 4.3?
pintu

Post by pintu »

After installation I have to add the following *check_nrpe* definition in “commands.cfg” file?
And in the commands.cfg file I have to add all the parameters?
In the previous version, I had in /etc/nagios-plugins/ and each command in a separate file
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

The check_nrpe plugin is a separate install and dependng on whare you downloaded Nagios Core 4.3.2, it may not be included with the Core install.
Yes, after you install the check_nrpe plugin, you would have to add the command to the commands.cfg. I have included an example for your reference.

Code: Select all

define command {
       command_name                             check_nrpe
       command_line                             $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ $ARG2$
}
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!