Erroneous error message when verifying Nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
neworderfac33

Erroneous error message when verifying Nagios

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good afternoon,

When I attrempt to verify my Nagios 4.3.2 installation, I get the following:

Code: Select all

WARNING: The normal_retry_interval attribute is deprecated and will be removed in future versions. Please use retry_interval instead.
It seems that I'm experiencing the same error as was encountered by another user here:
https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... 999#bottom

My /xdata/xodtemplete.c file contains the following:

Code: Select all

else if(!strcmp(variable, "retry_interval") || !strcmp(variable, "retry_check_interval")) {
                                if(!strcmp(variable, "retry_check_interval"))
                                        logit(NSLOG_CONFIG_WARNING, TRUE, "WARNING: The normal_retry_interval attribute is deprecated and will be removed in future versions. Please use retry_interval instead.\n");
                                temp_host->retry_interval = strtod(value, NULL);
                                temp_host->have_retry_interval = TRUE;
                                }
It's been a long day - please can someone tell me the exact change that I need to make here to eliminate the verify-time error message, please?

And, as I'm still relatively new to Linux, how do I go about recompiling the code once I've changed it?

Thanks in advance

Pete
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Erroneous error message when verifying Nagios

Post by dwhitfield »

Is this actually causing an issue? It's not removed yet. You just need to change your config files to use retry_interval instead of normal_retry_interval.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

No, It's not causing an issue as such - it's just that I can't find any instances of normal_retry_interval - I looked in my templates.cfg and there aren't any. is there anywhere else i should be looking?

Thanks

Pete
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

If you go into your top-level config directory and run the following:

grep -R "normal_retry_interval" .

it will tell you where it is.

As for modifying Core, if you are new to Linux and not a C dev I would strongly advise against making code mods.
Former Nagios employee
benjamin.john

Post by benjamin.john »

I ran grep -R "normal_retry_interval" . on my /nagios/etc/ folder, but it's returning nothing. Yet, I still get this message when I verify the configs.

Reading configuration data...
Read main config file okay...
WARNING: The normal_retry_interval attribute is deprecated and will be removed in future versions. Please use retry_interval instead.
Read object config files okay...

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Benji
tmcdonald wrote:If you go into your top-level config directory and run the following:

grep -R "normal_retry_interval" .

it will tell you where it is.

As for modifying Core, if you are new to Linux and not a C dev I would strongly advise against making code mods.
benjamin.john

Post by benjamin.john »

I found solution in another thread.
https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43841
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Oh, I hadn't run across that bug before. Good find!

I'll be closing this thread now, but feel free to open another if you need anything in the future!
Former Nagios employee