Check if your device has internet access

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
rumarcin11

Check if your device has internet access

Post by rumarcin11 »

Is there a possibility that from the nagios side to check ip and device or device has internet access, maybe it is so the internet can be blocked ie there is no world out but the network is. Without installing any plugin or program on the device that we want to check if it has to go out into the world
mcapra

Re: Check if your device has internet access

Post by mcapra »

I'm fairly certain you would need to leverage some sort of agent on the remote machine. The easiest way would be to use NRPE or NCPA, but you might be able to get away with SNMP if you can find a module that talks to websites you know are off-site. I personally don't know if any such module.

This is less of a Nagios specific obstacle and more of a general networking obstacle. I don't know of any networking protocols that could ask specific questions of a machine without the endpoint being a pass-through for, in this situation, "the internet". For example, if you wanted to see if a particular router on your network could access the internet, that could be doable by examining a traceroute to a remote website.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Check if your device has internet access

Post by scottwilkerson »

rumarcin11 wrote:Is there a possibility that from the nagios side to check ip and device or device has internet access, maybe it is so the internet can be blocked ie there is no world out but the network is. Without installing any plugin or program on the device that we want to check if it has to go out into the world
It really isn't possible without adding something to the device to check the connectivity, such as an agent
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com