Passing arguments to Nagios NRPE commands

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
as300182

Passing arguments to Nagios NRPE commands

Post by as300182 »

I'm using Nagios core v4.2.2

I have the nrpe.cfg with dont_blame_nrpe=1.

In my commands.cfg I have this:

Code: Select all

# Check NRPE Host
define command{
    command_name check_nrpe
    command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
}
So I am expecting this to not work:

./check_nrpe -H 10.1.10.10 -c check_mountpoint -a 'data'

However, it does. I'm a little confused as I was expecting to have to edit my commands file so that it looked like this:

define command{
        command_name check_nrpe
        command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -a $ARG2$
}

Is it possible that the check_nrpe command is overwritten somewhere else, or have I completely misunderstood the config for this command?

If it's the former, where might I expect to find the other override please? I've looked and cannot find any reference to this command anywhere else so I'm inclined to think I've missed the point somewhere!!! HELP? :(
mcapra

Re: Passing arguments to Nagios NRPE commands

Post by mcapra »

Just to clarify, your Nagios object definitions (like your command definition in this case) bear absolutely no weight on what Linux is doing. Calling check_nrpe from the command line like so:

Has absolutely nothing to do with any Nagios configurations. A command definition in Nagios only goes as far as other Nagios object definitions. For example, using your check_nrpe command definition:

# Check NRPE Host
define command{
    command_name check_nrpe
    command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
}
This definition can be leveraged in a service definition's check_command parameter like so:

define service{
		check_command			check_nrpe!some_arg1_value_here
        }
Which would then input some_arg1_value_here as the value for $ARG1$ when the command is ultimately executed.

Where you might run into trouble is, as you suspected, when you are attempting to pass arguments via a check_command when the corresponding command definition isn't accounting for them. So if you only were accepting an $ARG1$ value (as with the above command definition) and tried something like this:

check_command			check_nrpe!some_arg1_value_here!some_arg2_value_here
That would be a totally valid check_command parameter for any host/service, but some_arg2_value_here would be dropped because the check_nrpe command definition is only expecting a single argument ($ARG1$).
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Passing arguments to Nagios NRPE commands

Post by scottwilkerson »

@mcapra is correct, when you run the following from the Linux command line it works because you have the correct settings on the remote side

But this is NOT what Nagios will run under the hood, It will use the command definition, which you will need to change as suggested.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com