check_ping

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
donnyforbes

Re: check_ping

Post by donnyforbes »

can I create new config files? I have the following

Code: Select all

[root@nag objects]# ls
commands.cfg  contacts.cfg  localhost.cfg  printer.cfg  switch.cfg  templates.cfg  timeperiods.cfg  windows.cfg
Can I create one called services and put all these in there below for each server instead of leaving it in the commands.cfg? Or does it need to stay there?

#This service will monitor the CPU Load

define service{
use generic-service
host_name huey
service_description CPU Load
check_command check_nrpe!check_load
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

I really think a Quickstart session in which Nagios XI can be demonstrated would be a good idea if you're set on using Nagios Core/XI to monitor your infrastructure. The configuration wizards in Nagios XI, by themselves, take out a lot of the "how do I structure X" in terms of setup.

You seem to have a lot of questions of "where to put stuff". Nagios XI does practically all of that for you automatically.

I always tell people to think of Nagios Core as a framework and Nagios XI as a really sophisticated, more accessible implementation of that framework.

The main thing that Nagios Core has a concept of is configuration objects. Those are defined in plain-text like so:

define [object] {
    [param_1]    [setting_1]
    [param_2]    [setting_2]
    [param_n]    [setting_n]
}
Where you put those plain-text definitions is irrelevant. You could put literally every single object definition (command, host, service, contact, whatever) into one single .cfg file. This would be a nightmare to manage with 10,000+ objects, but you could do it and Nagios Core would not care one way or another.

That .cfg file could be named anything. Literally anything. It could be named 0294163121743a111260f6d75cadc4b5.cfg. This would be a nightmare to identify by hand (it's all just jargon!), but you could do it and as long as your main nagios.cfg file contains one of the following lines:

cfg_file=/some/path/to/some/place/0294163121743a111260f6d75cadc4b5.cfg
# or #
cfg_dir=/some/path/to/some/place
Nagios Core would not care one way or another. It just needs to know "this is a file that contains object definitions. please load it."

So maybe I have 100 different Windows hosts I need to monitor. One way I could structure that would be to lump every single Windows host into the following configuration file:

/some/path/to/some/place/windows.cfg
Or maybe I want to break it down by Windows versions:

/some/path/to/some/place/windows_server_2008.cfg
/some/path/to/some/place/windows_server_2012.cfg
/some/path/to/some/place/windows_server_2016.cfg
/some/path/to/some/place/windows_7.cfg
/some/path/to/some/place/windows_8.cfg
And maybe I want separate command files for my Windows-based commands and my Linux-based commands:

/some/path/to/some/place/windows_commands.cfg
/some/path/to/some/place/linux_commands.cfg
Or maybe I don't care about separating my hosts from my commands from my services from my contacts. Maybe I want everything I have defined in Nagios Core to exist in one single file:

/some/path/to/some/place/all_my_stuff.cfg
Or maybe I want to really confuse the new guy on my team and put all the Windows hosts in a file named macintosh.cfg:

/some/path/to/some/place/macintosh.cfg
Nagios Core does not care one way or another. It is happy to let you shoot yourself in the foot if that's what you want to do :)

So all of that information regarding managing configuration files I just wrote? You don't need to have any concept of it if you're using Nagios XI. Just use configuration wizards for everything. Nagios XI will handle putting the files where they need to be. Don't know where you've defined some service on some host? Search for it. Boom.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
donnyforbes

Post by donnyforbes »

ok sounds good thanks for getting back to me. Since I am using core now on Centos 7 I was thinking about wiping this and installing RHEL 7.3 with nagios XI.
what is your recommendation for all of this?
donnyforbes

Post by donnyforbes »

do you recommend that I install this on Linux or Windows? Also I will need to have the pager system 3rd party as well.
donnyforbes

Post by donnyforbes »

I am purchasing nagios XI . Can you give me instruction on how to remove core from my Centos server as well as all the clients so I can start fresh?
Please do this ASAP. SO I can get started on XI.
donnyforbes

Post by donnyforbes »

never mind I have removed it from all servers. I am installing the XI version now
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

donnyforbes wrote:do you recommend that I install this on Linux or Windows? Also I will need to have the pager system 3rd party as well.
This should really be a different thread, but for the sake of getting you going quickly, neither XI nor Core will run on Windows (unless you some sort of virtualization layer).

You should be aware that our SLA guarantees a 24-hour response time for customers, unless you purchase phone support, in which case you can call us any time during our business hours, which are maintained (including holiday closures) at https://www.nagios.com/contact/ . Of note: we will be closed Monday and Tuesday next week.
donnyforbes

Post by donnyforbes »

I have XI up and running now much easier then core. Do you have some documentation you can give me so I can learn this?
I have 4 hosts configured as well as up and running. Just want some documentation so I can look into it first before asking for support.
Thanks
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

We do!
Manual: https://library.nagios.com/library/prod ... i/manuals/
Knowledge Base: https://support.nagios.com/kb/category.php?id=2

If you have any questions about XI, please make sure you put them in the XI forum (https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6). It will be very confusing for people if you ask XI questions in the Core forums. If you become a customer, you will have access to our customer forums, where the 24-hour business day SLA applies.