The future of mod-gearman with nagios 4 and PNP4 pcdmod.o

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Pitone_Maledetto

The future of mod-gearman with nagios 4 and PNP4 pcdmod.o

Post by Pitone_Maledetto »

HI all,
I was wondering if any interest has been shown to facilitate the integration of mod-gearman with Nagios 4-*.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... paz9unEzYY

Another example is with PNP4 Nagios where on their web site you can still read:
"PNP4Nagios Broker Module npcdmod.o is not compatible with Nagios Core 4.x"
Meaning that not steps forward have been taken to address the updates needed for both.
Is Nagios 4 fully compatible with mod-gearman?
Will Nagios 4 ever have compatibility with npcdmod.o ?

Thank you for your time.
Regards
"It is impossible to work in information technology without also engaging in social engineering"
Jaron Lanier
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: The future of mod-gearman with nagios 4 and PNP4 pcdmod.

Post by dwhitfield »

We don't develop mod_gearman or pnp4nagios, so we are not the best-placed to answer those questions as they relate to ongoing development of those products.

That said, versions of mod_gearman and pnp4nagios certainly do work with Core 4. For example, we have gearman instructions for XI, and XI uses Core 4: https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios_XI.pdf
Pitone_Maledetto

Thank you dwhitfield,
I was asking more about the state of supporting integration of those two applications with Nagios Core.

Should Nagios take into account the correct integration with popular applications that extend its functionality or should it be the other way round ?

- Regarding PNP4 Nagios I was referring to pcdmod.o which apparently Nagios 4 does not support.
- Regarding mod-gearman I was not sure since their website states: "Mod-Gearman works well with Nagios 3. Preferable version 3.2.3 or 3.5.1.".
Thank you again to have taken the time to answer my question.
Regards
"It is impossible to work in information technology without also engaging in social engineering"
Jaron Lanier
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

I recall discussions where native remote workers were "on the table", which would be a replacement for mod-gearman in its current form:
https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewto ... =7&t=42948

Perhaps a tech can chime in on the status of that project? I don't see it on GitHub anywhere under the nagioscore project.

Regarding the PNP4Nagios Broker Module, I think the onus is on the PNP4Nagios team to update the module to follow the conventions introduced in Nagios Core 4 for NEBs. But given this message on the PNP4Nagios site:
Starting with Nagios 4 the internal structures have changed so the start of the module will fail. So far there are no plans to support Nagios 4. Please select any other of the modes.
I suspect the module will die off. NPCD works just fine without it in Core 4, though.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
Pitone_Maledetto

Hi mcapra,
as far as you know, will the native workers also be available on Nagios Core?
Thank you for the clarification.
Regards
Jaron Lanier
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

As of right now, native workers are still planned. Unfortunately, I cannot say yet when that will be. Core 5 is going to be a huge change, so I wouldn't expect it soon. I don't even want to speculate on a time frame.