Nagios core file system support

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
harshkhatore

Nagios core file system support

Post by harshkhatore »

Hi,

I have started using Nagios recently, and since Nagios core uses files to store every information and no database, can Nagios be used on every file system like ext2, ext3, ntfs, fat, etc.?
mcapra

Re: Nagios core file system support

Post by mcapra »

I would think the character encoding would be a much larger concern than the file system used. Is there something stopping you from using a modern, common-place format like ext4?

I didn't have too many problems building Nagios Core on a RaspberryPi using exFAT, granted the setup was very small.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

harshkhatore wrote: ntfs, fat
Are you trying to run this on Windows? You might be able to make that happen through cygwin or using something like CoLinux, but it's not something we test.

We test compiles of Nagios Core on modern versions the following operating systems:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
CentOS
Oracle Linux
Ubuntu
SUSE SLES | openSUSE Leap
Debian
Raspbian
Fedora
Arch Linux
Gentoo
FreeBSD
Solaris
Apple OS X
rony albert

Post by rony albert »

dwhitfield wrote:
harshkhatore wrote: ntfs, fat
Are you trying to run this on Windows? You might be able to make that happen through cygwin or using something like CoLinux, but it's not something we test.
SymptomsDrugs
We test compiles of Nagios Core on modern versions the following operating systems:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
CentOS
Oracle Linux
Ubuntu
SUSE SLES | openSUSE Leap
Debian
Raspbian
Fedora
Arch Linux
Gentoo
FreeBSD
Solaris
Apple OS X
Thanks for detailed explanation but what about Mac OS?
Last edited by rony albert on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I would assume that would be covered under the "Apple OS X" as well since they seem to be basically a rebranding and newer version, but I don't know honestly what specific Apple OSes we have here. I'm not an Apple guy so the differences are somewhat lost to me.
Former Nagios employee