How did Nagios update on it's own? How can I get running?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
squirrely73

How did Nagios update on it's own? How can I get running?

Post by squirrely73 »

So I came in this morning after a weekend off and Noticed our NagVis GeoLocations map wasn't updating, which happens sometimes so I went into the console and restarted Nagios and noticed a different message then normal when initiating a restart, but it did say that it restarted. Checked Nagios Core Web site noticed a Red X "Unable to get process" and that it was showing Nagios Core Version 4.3.2. when I left Friday it was 3.5.1. and all was working. The only other person with access is my boss and he said he hasn't touched anything. Is it possible for this to upgrade on it's own? How do I Roll back or get this version running. I didn't set this system up (The person that did has left the company) but I do perform updates to hosts/services/templates when things change or need fixed, but when it comes the the entire configuration I know enough to be dangerous as in I don't want to destroy our entire Nagios setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
squirrely73

Re: How did Nagios update on it's own? How can I get running

Post by squirrely73 »

Update: For now I restored from a backup last night, but still want to know how or why it upgraded on its own?
I can perform the upgrade when we are ready to through the process but want to make sure that it doesn't try to do it by itself again.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

squirrely73 wrote: Is it possible for this to upgrade on it's own? !
Highly unlikely (in my opinion). 3.x to 4.x is a pretty involved upgrade. There's also no auto-update mechanism built into Nagios Core; It's all a very manual process right now.
squirrely73 wrote:How do I Roll back or get this version running.
VM level snapshots would be very useful to that end. Backporting 4.x to 3.x would be very difficult and time intensive.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
squirrely73

Post by squirrely73 »

mcapra wrote:VM level snapshots would be very useful to that end. Backporting 4.x to 3.x would be very difficult and time intensive.
We did do a VM snapshot that is how we got back to the previous version, but myself nor my boss tried to perform any kind of an upgrade.
From the Nagios Core site where it states your version and below lets you click the "Check for Updates" will that initiate any kind of an upgrade? Not sure if maybe our helpdesk guy clicked that.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

squirrely73 wrote:From the Nagios Core site where it states your version and below lets you click the "Check for Updates" will that initiate any kind of an upgrade?
Here's the code that generates the link:
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/na ... #L140-L145

All it does is pass the current Nagios Core version off to an external site maintained by Nagios Enterprises.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
bolson

Post by bolson »

Can you please provide us with the following information:
  • *Do you have multiple Nagios Core servers?
    *What operating system is Core running on?
    *How did you initially install Core RPM? Source?
    *Are you accessing the Core server from the web browser by IP address or by name?
squirrely73

Post by squirrely73 »

bolson wrote:Can you please provide us with the following information:
  • *Do you have multiple Nagios Core servers?
    *What operating system is Core running on?
    *How did you initially install Core RPM? Source?
    *Are you accessing the Core server from the web browser by IP address or by name?
1 Server
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit)
Not sure how it was initially installed as it was before i started here by a user that no longer works here (If there is a way to check let me know)
Accessing via name but can access via IP as well
bolson

Post by bolson »

Hello squirrely73,

The most likely way that Nagios Core could be upgraded automatically would be if it were initially installed via yum and there exists a cron job to perform a yum update on your system. Your Systems Admin would be able to tell you if that's happening or you could send us the contents of your /etc/cron.* folders.
squirrely73

Post by squirrely73 »

bolson wrote:Hello squirrely73,

The most likely way that Nagios Core could be upgraded automatically would be if it were initially installed via yum and there exists a cron job to perform a yum update on your system. Your Systems Admin would be able to tell you if that's happening or you could send us the contents of your /etc/cron.* folders.

So I ran # nano /etc/nagios/cron folder and there isn't anything in there, I'm sure i'm doing that wrong but as I mentioned before I'm dangerously lacking knowledge of linux and Nagios infrastructure.
bolson

Post by bolson »

Unfortunately, now that you've reverted to a previous vm snapshot, there's little we can do to troubleshoot at this point. If I understand correctly, your system is working fine now. Your best bet is to ask your linux administrator if he has set up a cron job to perform a routine yum update. Not knowing how Core was initially installed there's little else we can do. Is it okay if we go ahead and close this topic?