How did Nagios update on it's own? How can I get running?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
squirrely73

How did Nagios update on it's own? How can I get running?

Post by squirrely73 »

I posted this topic yesterday that Nagios had updated itself from 3.5.1 to 4.3.2 in the middle of the night/early morning. Causing the web interface to give and error and not show any status. We reverted to a previous VM snapshot to go back to 3.5.1 and get it working again and now this morning it has updated again. Can anyone give me a little detail on how i can resolve this?

(Previous ticket had same subject name if you want a little background from yesterday)
mcapra

Re: How did Nagios update on it's own? How can I get running

Post by mcapra »

I'm beginning to suspect this Nagios Core setup was installed using a 3rd party repository as mentioned by @bolson in this post. In which case, a simple yum update might be the culprit.

I'd start with double checking all the repositories and packages present on this system. This output may be useful:

Code: Select all

rpm -qa | grep nagios
If Nagios Core was installed via a repository/package, you might want to exclude it from your yum updates if the 3.x to 4.x update breaks everything:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/10185
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
squirrely73

Post by squirrely73 »

mcapra wrote:I'm beginning to suspect this Nagios Core setup was installed using a 3rd party repository as mentioned by @bolson in this post. In which case, a simple yum update might be the culprit.

I'd start with double checking all the repositories and packages present on this system. This output may be useful:

rpm -qa | grep nagios
If Nagios Core was installed via a repository/package, you might want to exclude it from your yum updates if the 3.x to 4.x update breaks everything:

so would i use the following command then once i get it reverted back to 3.5.1 from the VM Snapshot
(# yum update --exclude=PACKAGENAME) which in use would look like # yum update --exclude=nagios-common-4.3.2-5.e16.x86_64
or would that be classified as a kernel update and i could use:
# yum update --exclude=kernel*

Sorry for the probably ignorant response but as i've mentioned a couple times, i'm new & still learning this system and appreciate all the help i've gotten!
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

It would be best to consult with your Red Hat administrator for the best course of action. I don't know your environment/organization and there may be underlying factors influencing the best course of action.
squirrely73 wrote: so would i use the following command then once i get it reverted back to 3.5.1 from the VM Snapshot
(# yum update --exclude=PACKAGENAME) which in use would look like # yum update --exclude=nagios-common-4.3.2-5.e16.x86_64
That would exclude the nagios-common-4.3.2-5.e16.x86_64 package specifically. So if a nagios-common-4.5.0-5.e16.x86_64 package were released (or really any other version other than 4.3.2), it would be installed which would, in theory, update your Nagios Core to 4.5.0 if the package naming conventions are consistent with the Nagios Core versioning.

Also, doing it as a one-off exclusion in the yum update command itself is just that; A one-off exclusion. Refer to the "To make permanent changes" section of the aforementioned article for more information. If you don't want any of the "nagios things" to be updated, excluding nagios* or nagios-common* might be more appropriate.
Former Nagios employee
squirrely73

Post by squirrely73 »

mcapra wrote: That would exclude the nagios-common-4.3.2-5.e16.x86_64 package specifically. So if a nagios-common-4.5.0-5.e16.x86_64 package were released (or really any other version other than 4.3.2), it would be installed which would, in theory, update your Nagios Core to 4.5.0 if the package naming conventions are consistent with the Nagios Core versioning.

Also, doing it as a one-off exclusion in the yum update command itself is just that; A one-off exclusion. Refer to the "To make permanent changes" section of the aforementioned article for more information. If you don't want any of the "nagios things" to be updated, excluding nagios* or nagios-common* might be more appropriate.
My plan of action at the moment is to roll back to previous VM snapshot to get back on 3.5 then run # yum update --exclude=nagios*
Hopefully that will get us to the point it is not updating and will stay working, Thanks for all the help mcapra it has been a pleasure working through this with you!
bolson

Post by bolson »

May we close this topic?
squirrely73

Post by squirrely73 »

Sorry I was out of the office for a couple days, unfortunately that did not work and Nagios still updated.

Any other ideas as to how we could fix this issue?
squirrely73

Post by squirrely73 »

Is some of the problem we are having with the update is that the files are not in the "normal location?"

From reading forums/websites, the verification is normally:
/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

The verification that i was given for Nagios when i started is:
/usr/sbin/nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

Could it be that after the upgrade it is not looking in the correct location for the config files?
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

squirrely73 wrote:Sorry I was out of the office for a couple days, unfortunately that did not work and Nagios still updated.
If all you did was run this:

yum update --exclude=nagios* 
That's not sufficient to permanently exclude nagios packages from yum updates. Refer to my last post for an explanation. Specifically the "To make permanent changes" section of this article:
Last edited by mcapra on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Nagios employee
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

It's not clear to me that this is actually the case, but maybe I missed something in the previous postings.

Can you do this:

yum list | grep -i nagios
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!