dhcpd-pools plugin

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
CyberIT

dhcpd-pools plugin

Post by CyberIT »

Hello

Im looking to see how I can install a nagios plugin called "dhcpd-pools". Is there any documentation on how this plugin can be applied and used properly on nagios core? Thanks!
bolson

Re: dhcpd-pools plugin

Post by bolson »

CyberIT

Post by CyberIT »

I have a few servers -- should nagios core be installed on its own server and have the servers point to it or is it needed to be on all the servers i want to use dhcpd-pools on? Thanks!
bolson

Post by bolson »

Typically you would install Nagios Core on one server and the NRPE agent and the plugin on the hosts to be monitored.

How many dhcp servers do you have?
CyberIT

Post by CyberIT »

I have 4 ISC DHCP servers. Failover pair in East Coast. Failover pair in West Coast.
I was going to install Nagios Core on all 4 servers and the dhcp-pools plugin on all 4.
I may be going about this the wrong way?? Im not sure how to install and configure to monitor the dhcpd pools properly.
bolson

Post by bolson »

Hello CyberIT,

You would only install Nagios core on the server that you wish to do your monitoring from. There is no reason to install core on the dhcp hosts you wish to monitor. On the dhcp servers, you'll want to install the NRPE agent and the plugins. You then run the check_nrpe command on your monitoring server to check the dhcp status of your dhcp servers.
CyberIT

Post by CyberIT »

Hello

I installed nagios core on one server. I installed nrpe on same server.

I installed the dhcpd-pools plugin on ISC DHCP server and configured my dhcpd.conf to have the monitor in-place. I ran the following on DHCP server and it seemed to show some output
dhcpd-pools -c /etc/dhcp/master.conf -l /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases

I ran check_nrpe and the monitoring server and the command fails. I noticed that I cant fine the nrpe.conf file

So Im not sure what the problem is.

Thanks!
bolson

Post by bolson »

You need to install nagios core on the host which will be doing your monitoring as you have done. You don't need to install nrpe on this host.
You need to install nrpe on your dhcp servers along with the plugins including check_dhcp_pools.