Can monitor transceiver feed router?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
dwasswa

Re: Can monitor transceiver feed router?

Post by dwasswa »

Hi @h4doukeeN,

You can easily monitor Port utilization on the router as well as the current port status. Additionally, by querying other SNMP metric on the router with Nagios plugins you can monitor the following metrics for each port on the router

ifInUcastPkts
ifOutUcastPkts
ifInNUcastPkts
ifOutNUcastPkts
ifInDiscards
ifOutDiscards
ifInErrors
ifOutErrors
ifInUnknownProtos

and many others.

Therefore,in your case,you could monitor a port at which your transceiver is connected to your router. e.g you could monitor port utilization and if that port utilizatiion is zero then transceiver has stopped working
h4doukeeN

Post by h4doukeeN »

dwasswa wrote:Hi @h4doukeeN,

You can easily monitor Port utilization on the router as well as the current port status. Additionally, by querying other SNMP metric on the router with Nagios plugins you can monitor the following metrics for each port on the router

ifInUcastPkts
ifOutUcastPkts
ifInNUcastPkts
ifOutNUcastPkts
ifInDiscards
ifOutDiscards
ifInErrors
ifOutErrors
ifInUnknownProtos

and many others.

Therefore,in your case,you could monitor a port at which your transceiver is connected to your router. e.g you could monitor port utilization and if port utilization is zero then transceiver is not working
you could give me a help through which plugin to be able to do it is a cisco 2911, I have the cisco_catalyst.pl and cisco_env_stats, I do not handle the command line and how to add it to nagios. I hope I'm not asking for much maybe something to read how to do it.
h4doukeeN

Post by h4doukeeN »

dwasswa wrote:Hi @h4doukeeN,

You can easily monitor Port utilization on the router as well as the current port status. In your case,you can track per-port bandwidth utilization at the port which your transceiver is connected to router and if its zero then transceiver is not working.
By querying other SNMP metric on the router with Nagios plugins you can monitor the following metrics for each port on the router

ifInUcastPkts
ifOutUcastPkts
ifInNUcastPkts
ifOutNUcastPkts
ifInDiscards
ifOutDiscards
ifInErrors
ifOutErrors
ifInUnknownProtos
I could, thanks for the help

check_cisco.pl

define command{
command_name check_cisco
command_line $USER1$/check_cisco.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $USER7$ -n $ARG1$ $ARG2$
}

___

define service{
use generic-service ; Inherit values from a template
host_name 00-Cisco2911-Col
service_description Check_Interface_Port_0/1
check_command check_cisco!-C YOLITO -i GigabitEthernet0/1
}

Thank you
dwasswa

Post by dwasswa »

Am glad that we could get this working.

If you have any questions you can open a new thread but am going to close as resolved.

Thanks for using the nagios support forums!