username/group change post rpm installation

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
yomiko

username/group change post rpm installation

Post by yomiko »

When I install Nagios Core or NRPE via the rpm, it'll install with the default username nagios and group nagios.

I'd like to do the installation using different username/group. Is there a way to change them after I have installed
them using yum install?

If I cannot do that, if I want to use my own username/group, do I need to install Nagios core and NRPE from source
using my own username/group and then rpmbuild my own pkg if I want to use that pkg on other systems?

Thanks!
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: username/group change post rpm installation

Post by scottwilkerson »

yomiko wrote:I'd like to do the installation using different username/group. Is there a way to change them after I have installed
them using yum install?
No they are built into the RPM
yomiko wrote:If I cannot do that, if I want to use my own username/group, do I need to install Nagios core and NRPE from source
using my own username/group and then rpmbuild my own pkg if I want to use that pkg on other systems?
You can built them from source on each server you need to do this, passing the custom user/group into the ./configure script

OR if familiar with making a custom RPM, yes, you can create a spec file with your customization, and create RPM's for each distribution that accepts RPMs to install packages.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
tacolover101

Post by tacolover101 »

i believe you'll have to compile from source because the RPM's are preset.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

tacolover101 wrote:i believe you'll have to compile from source because the RPM's are preset.
Either way you would want to remove the existing installed RPM's
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com