NRPE 3.0.1 doesn’t work after upgrading to macOS Sierra

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

NRPE 3.0.1 doesn’t work after upgrading to macOS Sierra

Postby mattiasvdm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:32 am

Moderator Edit: This thread has been split from another - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40410&p=197432
In the future, please create a new thread and link to the old one instead of adding on.


Unfortunately no follow up on this post. I've got the same problem after updating a macOS server to Sierra. However, I also have a working macOS Sierra server. So it seems some local issue. Nagios is saying:
Code: Select all
CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon. Check the remote server logs for error messages.

I'm trying to troubleshoot by running the check_nrpe command manually from the Nagios server and I'm getting:
Code: Select all
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H XX.XX.X.XX -n
Connection refused by host

However, I'm getting the same error when I use the IP address of any working macOS server. So I'm not running the command the same way Nagios does. Where can I find the exact command that's ran by Nagios? I've checked the nagios.log but this is only displaying server alerts and server events.
I've also checked to see if NRPE is running on the mac server, but I couldn't find any processes with that name. But again, I could also not find it on any other Mac servers which work just fine. Is this a constantly running process or is this only running when triggered by the Nagios server?

I do have an old version of Nagios (Nagios Core 3.4.3).

Hope you can help.
mattiasvdm
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:08 am

Re: NRPE 3.0.1 doesn’t work after upgrading to macOS Sierra

Postby mattiasvdm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 am

I actually found the root cause. The /usr/local/nagios directory ownership was somehow broken after the update. I made the nagios user owner again and it started working.

The fact that the manual command didn't work was because I was using the wrong port number. Found the right port number in nagios.cfg.
mattiasvdm
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:08 am

Re: NRPE 3.0.1 doesn’t work after upgrading to macOS Sierra

Postby scottwilkerson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:37 pm

mattiasvdm wrote:I actually found the root cause. The /usr/local/nagios directory ownership was somehow broken after the update. I made the nagios user owner again and it started working.

The fact that the manual command didn't work was because I was using the wrong port number. Found the right port number in nagios.cfg.


Thanks for sharing this, we will keep an eye out for any other instances of the directory owner changing on install/upgrade.
User avatar
scottwilkerson
CTO
 
Posts: 7590
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: Nagios Enterprises


Return to Nagios Core

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 29 guests