Alerts to detect a frozen service

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
NagiosNoob89

Alerts to detect a frozen service

Post by NagiosNoob89 »

Was wondering if there was a way to setup Nagios to send out alerts for services/processes that freeze. The way I have it setup now is it will only send alerts if for some reason the service/processes gets stopped or crashes. Lately i've noticed some processes are just frozen but I don't find out until somethings broken.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm running Nagios core 4.1.1 and have it living on my ubuntu machine
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Alerts to detect a frozen service

Post by scottwilkerson »

NagiosNoob89 wrote:Was wondering if there was a way to setup Nagios to send out alerts for services/processes that freeze. The way I have it setup now is it will only send alerts if for some reason the service/processes gets stopped or crashes. Lately i've noticed some processes are just frozen but I don't find out until somethings broken.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm running Nagios core 4.1.1 and have it living on my ubuntu machine
This may be possible, but the "frozen" process must exhibit some behavior that your plugin can detect. An your Ubuntu machine doesn't mark the process "frozen", does it do something that you can create a script to monitor?

For example, does it stop writing to a log file, does it stop listening on a port?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
NagiosNoob89

Post by NagiosNoob89 »

I have it monitoring over 50 virtual servers and a ton of processes for each, seems pretty unlikely that i'd set it up to monitor any logs. Maybe I can however monitor linked programs that might error out because of the freeze, good thinkin!
kyang

Post by kyang »

Let us know how it works out for you!

If you have any more questions let us know what you find so we can help.