creating a perl Script to check service status

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

creating a perl Script to check service status

Postby camacho12th » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Does anyone have a sample perl script for monitoring a service within /etc/int.d?

I've struggled to find one already made and now I must learn how to create one. This would really help me get my feet firmly on the ground.

Basically, I have an asterisk Service on a remote linux server that I want to make sure is running. If not, then generate a warning or critical.

Thank you greatly
camacho12th

Re: creating a perl Script to check service status

Postby eloyd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:51 am

Just curious why you're not using the default "check_init_service" script to do that?
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Postby tacolover101 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm

eloyd wrote:Just curious why you're not using the default "check_init_service" script to do that?

perl 4 lyfe. this is a good question though.

Code: Select all
$s=(`service $ARGV[0] status`);
if ($s =~ '(running)') {
   $val1="is";
   $val2=1;
   }
else {
   $val1="is not";
   $val2=0;
   }

you'll need to get creative with how you leverage $ARGV[0] in a print command to define ok / warning / etc. could be written better, but there's a framework. logic could be written better, too.
tacolover101

Postby kyang » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
kyang

Return to Nagios Core