possible bug in nagios core 4.3.4

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
nagiost

possible bug in nagios core 4.3.4

Post by nagiost »

when we restart the Nagios service from the command line, the nagios.cmd file (located in /usr/local/nagios/var/rw) disappears.
when restarting the same service using the Nagios web interface, the file does not disappear.
This happens for us on two Nagios servers; one running Centos 6 and the other Centos 7.

We noticed this soon after upgrading to 4.3.4 and also after installing updates via yum

is anyone else seeing this?
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: possible bug in nagios core 4.3.4

Post by npolovenko »

Hi, @nagiost. Good observation!

This is caused by two different scripts that are being called. When you run the shutdown script from the Web interface it only calls the kill process command. Versus if you do service Nagios shutdown from the command line the script deletes the nagios.cmd file as well.
After you start Nagios process the cmd file is recreated anyway. You can take a look at the file creation timestamp. And if you restart Nagios from the web interface the cmd file gets replaced as well. It happens really fast but if you look at the file creation timestamp it should update.
This shouldn't affect Core functionality, and all the previous versions were working the same way.
Let us know if you have any other concerns about this.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
nagiost

Post by nagiost »

thanks for the info.

For years I've been restarting the Nagios service via the command line without seeing this. For example, after making changes to a config file, then running the pre-flight check, I would restart the Nagios service and all would be fine. No issues until now.

Thanks
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@nagiost, If you update Nagios config file and restart Nagios from the web interface, the cmd file does get replaced. So I don't see the issue with it. This is a temporary file and if it gets swapped out one way or another Nagios core should be ok. Do you have any errors when applying configurations?
This was working the same way in previous versions of Nagios Core as far as I know.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
nagiost

Post by nagiost »

I didn't know the web interface included a way to restart the process till now. For years I've applied configuration changes and restarted the Nagios service from the command line without this issue. I have no problem with using the web interface going forward and will do so.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@nagiost, Sounds good. Can I go ahead and close this topic as resolved?