Stopping checks on server, decommissioned

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
pbrinkman

Stopping checks on server, decommissioned

Post by pbrinkman »

hi

I have been trying to locate documentation that highlights how to stop Nagios from monitoring a SSH connection check.
The server has been decommissioned and the checks are no longer needed. I have been looking through the support pages and as yet I haven't found anything that helps me in stopping Nagios checking for the SSH connection.

I have disabled the following checks within the HOST & SERVICE section on the Nagios GUI.
Active checks
Passive checks
Obsessing
Notifications
Event Handler
Flap Detection

The SSH failure is still being shown as an error on the "problem" page.
Any help or pointers as to help show the easiest way to stop nagios from alerting that the check is failing would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
tmcdonald

Re: Stopping checks on server, decommissioned

Post by tmcdonald »

If you want to stop checking that SSH service entirely, you will need to go into the config file for that service check and delete the definition. It will look something like this:

Code: Select all

define service {
}
with the ... filled in with the various options. One of them will be the service description for the SSH check. Delete that section, then run service nagios restart and the check will disappear and no longer be run. You will need to remove all relevant checks, but you can remove them all then do the restart once, no need to do it multiple times.

It is worth noting that just disabling active checks means it will no longer be checked, but the status will still show on the web interface until the configs are removed.
Former Nagios employee