Using an Outlook Email Group as a Contact

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
neworderfac33

Using an Outlook Email Group as a Contact

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good afternoon,

I have just been asked to set up alerting for three hosts where the alerts go to an Outlook email group, which contains multiple members (as against an individual or a group mailbox)

The group name also contains spaces "Development Team1 Individual"

Can I do this, or will I have to set up each member as a separate contact?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Pete
dwasswa

Re: Using an Outlook Email Group as a Contact

Post by dwasswa »

Hi @neworderfac33,

I need to clarify something:

Does the email address you are trying to send alerts to have spaces in them?

If it does, you need to add " " around it.

If that is not the question you are asking, please restate it for me for clarification.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

Thanks for coming back to me.

It's not an email address, it's an outlook email group that contains a number of email addresses.

So, in the "To" field, if I type in "Development Team 1", which obviously isn't an email address in the form a.b@xyz.com it will resolve to that group and send the mail to all the recipients.

It doesn't matter now, as there were only 10 recipients in the group, so I added them as contacts and created a contact_group.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, though.

Pete
dwasswa

Post by dwasswa »

Hi @neworderfac33,

I strongly agree with you that creating contacts for those email addresses and putting them in a contact group will do what you wanted to achieve.

If you have any questions in the future please open a new thread and we will be glad to help.

Thank you for using the Nagios Support Forum.
tacolover101

Post by tacolover101 »

neworderfac33 wrote:Thanks for coming back to me.

It's not an email address, it's an outlook email group that contains a number of email addresses.

So, in the "To" field, if I type in "Development Team 1", which obviously isn't an email address in the form a.b@xyz.com it will resolve to that group and send the mail to all the recipients.

It doesn't matter now, as there were only 10 recipients in the group, so I added them as contacts and created a contact_group.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, though.
uh, as far as i know, all outlook groups include an email address. when you type "development team 1" you are pulling the record from exchange, internally, which Nagios is NONT connected to.

similar, if you put in a contact as "Leroy Jenkins" in as an email address - Nagios won't resolve this through your exchange. you need to use ljenkins@wow.fqdn, or leroy.jenkins@wow.fqdn.

create a contact, assign the distribution group email to it, and assign the contact to the hosts / services, just as you would any other contact.
dwasswa

Post by dwasswa »

Thanks @ tacolover101,

@neworderfac33, please let us know if you have any questions.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

No, this has resolved my question, so the thread can be closed.

Thanks for all your input.
kyang

Post by kyang »

Sounds good! I'll be closing this thread!

If you have any more questions, feel free to create another thread.

Thanks for using the Nagios Support Forum!