Monitoring Windows performance counters with check_nrpe

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
neworderfac33

Monitoring Windows performance counters with check_nrpe

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good afternoon,

Following on from my request for suggestions for plugins to monitor disk performance, I stumbled upon the following article:

Code: Select all

http://sites.box293.com/nagios/guides/common-checks/disk-performance
Using NSClient++ 0.4.3.143 with nrpe support enabled on my Windows hosts, I was able to define services including the following syntax:

check_command        check_nrpe!checkcounter! -a 'Counter:C % Read Time=\LogicalDisk(C:)\% Disk Read Time' ShowAll MaxWarn=50 MaxCrit=75
check_command        check_nrpe!checkcounter! -a 'Counter:C % Write Time=\LogicalDisk(C:)\% Disk Write Time' ShowAll MaxWarn=50 MaxCrit=75
check_command        check_nrpe!checkcounter! -a 'Counter:C: Queue Length=\LogicalDisk(C:)\Current Disk Queue Length' ShowAll MaxWarn=10 MaxCrit=20
check_command        check_nrpe!checkcounter! -a 'Counter:C: % Read Bytes/sec=\LogicalDisk(C:)\Disk Read Bytes/sec' ShowAll MaxWarn=100 MaxCrit=500
check_command        check_nrpe!checkcounter! -a 'Counter:C: % Write Bytes/sec=\LogicalDisk(C:)\Disk Write Bytes/sec' ShowAll MaxWarn=100 MaxCrit=500
check_command        check_nrpe!checkcounter! -a 'Counter:C: Split IO/sec=\LogicalDisk(C:)\Split IO/Sec' ShowAll MaxWarn=10 MaxCrit=20
Whilst I can get all of these to successfully run without generating errors in Nagios Core 4.3.4, I have to confess that I don't I don't fully understand the syntax. For instance, on the Read Bytes/Sec and Write Bytes/Sec commands, the warning alerts are generated at a lower value than the critical alerts. Surely higher bytes per second are "better" than lower ones, yet the parameters seem to be the wrong way round.

Of course, I HAVE been looking at this all afternoon :-) and I MAY just be missing something completely obvious, but any assistance or observations would be more than welcome, also with any suggestions as to other useful counters that I could use.

Thanks in advance for your interest
Pete
mcapra

Re: Monitoring Windows performance counters with check_nrpe

Post by mcapra »

This documentation should shed some light on the syntax:
https://docs.nsclient.org/reference/win ... eckcounter

Slightly more comprehensive documentation:
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=126
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=127

If you were to divide one of those command's arguments into discrete chunks:

'Counter:C % Write Time=\LogicalDisk(C:)\% Disk Write Time' ShowAll MaxWarn=50 MaxCrit=75
|       |              |                                  |                             |
|       |    Label     |           Counter Path           |     Misc NSClient++ Args    |
peterooney wrote:For instance, on the Read Bytes/Sec and Write Bytes/Sec commands, the warning alerts are generated at a lower value than the critical alerts. Surely higher bytes per second are "better" than lower ones, yet the parameters seem to be the wrong way round.
Higher bytes-per-second isn't necessarily better than lower. For example, a disk that is used only as a fail-over. I might expect my disk to have relatively low bytes-per-second unless there is a failure in my system.

Certainly you would want high-usage disks to have high bytes-per-second, though. In which case, a drop in that value would be of concern.

By the sounds of your environment, you want to alert if the bytes-per-second drops below certain thresholds? In this case, you should use the MinWarn and MinCrit parameters I believe. In which case your state logic should look like:

OK > MinWarn > MinCrit
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

This is a stunningly good answer - thank you VERY much for the time you took to put it together, and the speed in which you did it - right before hometime too (it's 17:38 :-)), so I don't have to spend all evening worrying about it!
As soon as I started reading your answer, I realised my error - the idea behind monitoring bytes per second is to identify times of high activity where the disk is being thrashed, so, lower values definitely ARE "better" than lower ones.
I shall read through all the articles carefully and see what else I can come up with.
Thanks once again.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

Great. Thanks for your help, @mcapra!
@neworderfac33, Let us know if we can close this thread.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.