Monitoring of Disk Space by Size, rather than by percentage

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
bosco

Monitoring of Disk Space by Size, rather than by percentage

Post by bosco »

Monitoring of Windows server Disk Space by Size, rather than by percentage

My requirement is to monitor Disk Space by Size and Change the Threshold from % to values in windows Server, from the support forum i followed instruction from the link and used a vb script for getting the disk usage in GB but on integrating with nagios is getting error: "UNKNOWN: No handler for that command "

Vb scipt for disk utilication from GB is take from the link https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... ce/details

Please find the nsc.ini where i mention the script

[/settings/external scripts/wrapped scripts]
allow arguments=true
check_disk_gb-=cscript.exe //T:30 //NoLogo "scripts\\check_disk.vbs" /w:40 /c:20 /d:C /u:GB

i there any thing to be added for running the script
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Monitoring of Disk Space by Size, rather than by percent

Post by lmiltchev »

Most probably you will need to move your command to the [/settings/external scripts/scripts] section. It is also possible that you forgot to enable external scripts module under [/modules]:

Code: Select all

CheckExternalScripts = 1
To be sure, we will need to see the entire nsclient.ini file. Please remove sensitive info, i.e. passwords, IP addresses.

Is there any reason that you are not using the check_nrpe with check_drivesize (instead of a custom script)?

Example:

[root@main-nagios-xi libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H x.x.x.x -c check_drivesize -a drive=C: 'warning=used>100G' 'critical=used>150G' show-all 'perf-config=*(unit:G)' detail-syntax='{${drive_or_name} ${used} used / ${size} total}' top-syntax='${status}: ${problem_list}'
OK: {C: 77.395GB used / 107.47GB total}|'C: used'=77.39539G;100;150;0;107.46972 'C: used %'=72%;93;139;0;100
For more info: https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/d ... s-770.html
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
bosco

Post by bosco »

Thanks very much for your quick response and will try using your method.
bosco

Post by bosco »

I tried with the command given in previous comment,but getting an error"CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon. Check the remote server logs for error messages.

i am running this from my nagios core server.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Can you post the nsclient.ini and nsclient.log? Please remove sensitive info, i.e. passwords, IP addresses.
bosco

Post by bosco »

Please find the attached nsclient and nsclient log file,tried both but getting error from client server working as expeccted but while running from nagios server throwing error.

Exception processing request: Request contained arguments (not currently allowed, check the allow arguments option).

CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon. Check the remote server logs for error messages.
Attachments
nsclient.log
(5.71 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
nsclient.ini
(7.32 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

The following error:
Exception processing request: Request contained arguments (not currently allowed, check the allow arguments option).
can be usually resolved if you add:

allow arguments = 1
allow nasty characters = 1
lines to BOTH, the [/settings/NRPE/server] AND [/settings/external scripts] section, and restart the nsclient++ service.

Can you show us the check that you are running on the nagios server against the Windows machine, along with the output of it? Are you using check_nrpe with the check_drivesize command or you are calling the "check_disk_gb-" script?

If you are using the second option, you will need to change this:

[External Scripts]
check_disk_gb-=cscript.exe //T:30 //NoLogo check_disk.vbs /w:52 /c:30 /d:C /p /u:GB 
to this:

[/settings/external scripts/scripts]
check_disk_gb = cscript.exe //T:30 //NoLogo scripts\check_disk.vbs /w:52 /c:30 /d:C /p /u:GB 
provided, the "check_disk.vbs" script is located in the NSClient++ scripts directory. I don't have this script, so I can't test it in-house but the arguments are "hardcoded", so you should be able to just run (on the nagios server):

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H <ip address> -c check_disk_gb
Note: Don't forget that every time you make changes in the nsclient.ini file, you need to restart the nsclient++ service, so that the changes can take effect. Also, you are missing many options in the config file. If needed, you could add all of the "defaults" by running the following command from the Windows CMD as administrator:

nscp settings --generate --add-defaults --load-all
See the top section of the nsclient.ini file.