Host extended notes

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
martin@boxit.net

Host extended notes

Post by martin@boxit.net »

We are using a url in the host/service extended notes, to get easier to the specific doumentation page for the alert/notifiaction.
How would I separate more information in this notes section, lets say after the url I wanted to also enter a phone number to call etc.

would that be:

url; other content?

Thanks a lot
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Host extended notes

Post by dwhitfield »

Take a look at the Service Notifications and Host Notifications columns in https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... olist.html

$CONTACTPAGER$ would seem the obvious fit for a phone #, if you aren't already using a page #: https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ntactpager
martin@boxit.net

thanks a lot, but is there no easier way to just use the notes section I already use in centreon and add some more information after the url

right now I have a url to our online documentation, but when oncall we would like the tech to be able to also see the isp and support number to safe time and dial directly from the notification email

thanks
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

You cannot use "url; other content" in the "notes_url" directive, as this is going to break the URL. However, you could place your other info, e.g. a phone number in the "notes" directive.

Example:

Code: Select all

define host {
	host_name			localhost
	notes				651-204-9102
	notes_url			https://support.nagios.com/forum/
	}
In the GUI:
example01.PNG
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
martin@boxit.net

I would like to have this in the email notification showing up behind or below the link to the monitoring section in the documentation.
So the oncall tech can see right away the host/modem/gateway etc., isp and contact number/support and hits call even in the car/train etc.

See attached screenshot

Thanks
Attachments
screenshot_centreon_host-extended-infos.PNG
martin@boxit.net

I might be able to use url for the documentation link and the notes section for ips, name, number etc?

Thanks
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I would like to have this in the email notification showing up behind or below the link to the monitoring section in the documentation.
You are using a URL in the "Notes" field ("notes" directive). I would recommend adding the URL to the "URL" field ("notes_url" directive). This way, you could add a string to "notes", e.g. a phone number without breaking the URL (as it is defined in a different field).

You will have to find a way to split the data into different fields:

notes	note_string
notes_url	url
action_url	url
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... .html#host

This way, I believe you will be able to see all of the data under the "Host Extended Infos" tab in Centreon.

P.S.
I say "I believe" as I am pretty confident that you will see the info on this page, but I haven't actually tested it. Centreon is NOT supported here as this is a Nagios Support forum. We will do our best to help you out, however if the solution above doesn't work for you, you will have to contact the Centreon support.
tacolover101

Post by tacolover101 »

lmiltchev wrote:
You are using a URL in the "Notes" field ("notes" directive). I would recommend adding the URL to the "URL" field ("notes_url" directive). This way, you could add a string to "notes", e.g. a phone number without breaking the URL (as it is defined in a different field).

You will have to find a way to split the data into different fields:

notes	note_string
notes_url	url
action_url	url
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... .html#host

This way, I believe you will be able to see all of the data under the "Host Extended Infos" tab in Centreon.

P.S.
I say "I believe" as I am pretty confident that you will see the info on this page, but I haven't actually tested it. Centreon is NOT supported here as this is a Nagios Support forum. We will do our best to help you out, however if the solution above doesn't work for you, you will have to contact the Centreon support.
wow you guys are awesome! :D
martin@boxit.net wrote:I might be able to use url for the documentation link and the notes section for ips, name, number etc?

Thanks
use nagios custom variables, and then append to your email notifications. as @lmiltchev mentioned, i don't know how this functions for Centreon. your best bet is over there for support.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

@martin@boxit.net I will be closing this topic now. If you have any more questions/issues, please start a new thread. Thank you!