Socket Timeouts

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
neworderfac33

Socket Timeouts

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good afternoon,
I'm currently receiving email alerts for various services that relate to socket timeouts.

Code: Select all

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Win_Drive_Space_E
Host: 
Address: 
State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Tue Dec 12 21:36:44 GMT 2017

Additional Info:

CRITICAL - Socket timeout
I believe that I can add a -t parameter to my check_nt, check_tcp and check_nrpe service definitions - OR - I can alter the TIMEOUT value in nsslient++.ini
My question is - if, for example, I added -t30 onto my service definitions, but set TIMEOUT = 60 in nsclient++.ini, which setting would be used?
Thanks in advance
Pete
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Socket Timeouts

Post by dwhitfield »

The lowest one, 30, in this case.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

Thanks for your reply! So that means then that if I want to increase the value to 120, I'm going to have to do it in NSClient++.ini on all my 1014 remote hosts and make sure that there are no -t values defined in my services?
Pete
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Actually, the -t just refers to the connection attempt, and the timeout in the nsclient.ini refers to execution, but I am pretty sure the execution time includes the connection time (I'm not 100% sure of this though).

I've seen the -t take priority, which is why I answered the way I did, but it's actually more complicated than that.