check dhcp on Router

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
martin@boxit.net

check dhcp on Router

Post by martin@boxit.net »

We have a customer with a complete mac/linux environment and the dhcp server is running on both Routers (different pools) onsite.
Is there a check we can use to check the dhcp (status (running...), scope, leases etc.?)

Thanks

Martin
bolson

Re: check dhcp on Router

Post by bolson »

There are several on the Nagios Exchange. I'm sure one of these will meet your needs. There is also a wizard in Nagios XI for monitoring a dhcp server.

https://exchange.nagios.org/index.php?o ... hword=dhcp
martin@boxit.net

Post by martin@boxit.net »

Thanks Brian, I checked the command in the cli and it gives me a critical error back:

CRITICAL: No DHCPOFFERs were received.

I checked against one of the routers (edgerouter v1.9.7+hotfix.4 from ubiquity) doing the dhcp on the network

check_dhcp --serverip=ipaddress

Maybe that does not work with those devices?

Thanks a lot

Best

Martin
bolson

Post by bolson »

Try this:

Code: Select all

check_dhcp -s <ip_of_dhcp_server> -u
Let me know if this works. Thank you!
bolson

Post by bolson »

The trick here is that depending on the configuration of your dhcp server, dhcpd is expecting requests to be "broadcast" or "unicast". The default for the check_dhcp plugin is broadcast so if your dhcp server is expecting a unicast request, you need to include the -u flag.