reducing size of nagios_logentries,MYI & MYD

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

reducing size of nagios_logentries,MYI & MYD

Postby Nighthawkz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:54 am

This seems like it should be quite a simple problem I shouldn't need to ask for an answer, but...

Running into some disk space issues on my nagios server. I've reduced/removed everything else I can but the server is showing the following files as being very large

1.1G ./nagios_statehistory.MYD
2.9G ./nagios_logentries.MYI
4.3G ./nagios_logentries.MYD

Tried searching on this forum and come across similar topics, but for some reason it says i do not have permission not view this thread for every post I go onto so i haven't been able to research properly.

Anyway - I've looked at the entires in this table - as far as i'm concerned entires from 6 months and older can go, so Is it safe to just delete any entires before a date I'm happy with? or use something like the OPTIMIZE TABLE command to try and reclaim space (if there is any - i dont' often play with the admin side of MySql but this is how i understand the command)

Or is there a specific way relating to how nagios uses these tables , that i should be aware of before reducing there size?

Thansk for any help

Regards
Nighthawkz

Re: reducing size of nagios_logentries,MYI & MYD

Postby dwhitfield » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Are you using Core with ndo, or XI? You put this in the Core forum, so I just want to make sure I get you specific instructions.

If using XI, please see https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... zation.pdf
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
dwhitfield
The Doctor

Postby Nighthawkz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:56 am

@dwhitfield

Thanks for replying. It's ndo I believe (it's definitely not XI anyway)

Regards
Nighthawkz

Postby dwhitfield » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Take a backup first, but yes it should be fine. The log entries are in the literal logs anyway, so those you have if you need them. Can you give is a screenshot of your ui so we have a better idea of what's going on? What version of core are you running?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
dwhitfield
The Doctor

Return to Nagios Core