Setup Windows Host - Nagios Newbie

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
nmarsh

Setup Windows Host - Nagios Newbie

Post by nmarsh »

Hello, I am very new to Nagios Core and have what is hopefully an easy question to answer. I have Nagios Core 4.3.4 up and running but my next step that I am trying to accomplish is to add some Window hosts that I would like to monitor.

I see documentation about adding a Windows host and it references downloading and installing NCPA on the Windows server. I have downloaded that and started the install process but now the setup is asking for an API token. I have no idea of how to come up with an API token.

Like I mentioned, I am very new to Nagios Core so do not assume that I know anything about it really or what needs to be setup beforehand to get other hosts added. If anyone can guide me in the right direction on what needs to be done so I can add Window hosts for monitoring that would be greatly appreciated. I am not very familiar with Linux either, as my primary job function is network/firewall related.

Surely simply adding a host is not a complicated thing to do? At this point we are just evaluating Nagios Core to see if it would be a good fit for us and not being able to add any other hosts to monitor is making it hard to evaluate.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Setup Windows Host - Nagios Newbie

Post by lmiltchev »

I am not sure what documentation you have read, but you can review various NCPA configuration options here:

https://www.nagios.org/ncpa/help.php#configuration

Setting up the community string (token) is very easy in NCPA. The "default" one is "mytoken", but you can change it the ncpa.cfg file (main config), usually located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nagios\NCPA\etc" folder on the Windows machine. After modifying the file, you will need to restart the NCPA Listener service so that changes can take effect. Then, you download the check_ncpa.py plugin from here:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/ncp ... cpa.tar.gz

place it in your plugins directory, and test it from the command line on your Nagios server.

Example:

Code: Select all

./check_ncpa.py -H x.x.x.x -t mytoken -M system/agent_version
OK: Agent_version was ['2.0.5']
You can view the usage (help menu) of the plugin by running:

Code: Select all

./check_ncpa.py -h
Let us know if you have any more questions.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!