Install Plugin from Nagios Exchange

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jermad14

Install Plugin from Nagios Exchange

Post by jermad14 »

Hi. I'm new to the forums so not sure if there was already a topic for this because I couldn't find it using the search. I've set up Nagios and wanted to utilize some of the plugins from the Nagios Exchange website. It only gave me instructions on how to use the plugins once installed. I tried searching the web for instructions on how to actually get the plugin set up to be usable. Does anyone know where I can find these instructions or can let me know how exactly how I'm supposed to install and use them? Thanks.
jsmurphy

Re: Install Plugin from Nagios Exchange

Post by jsmurphy »

Installing most of the plugins is easy, anything that's a python, perl, etc script just copy it to your /usr/local/nagios/libexec folder and then create a definition for executing it in your /usr/local/nagios/etc/commands.cfg

There are some plugins that require you to compile them first and those normally come with an INSTALL or README file that will instruct you on proper set up and installation. Usually it will create a binary in the libexec folder and all you need to do is edit the commands.cfg
jermad14

Post by jermad14 »

Hi jsmurphy, thanks for the response! I'll go ahead and try that. I think I attempted to something like that because I have been putting them in the libexec folder, but I probably wasn't creating the definitions correctly.
jsmurphy

Post by jsmurphy »

Easiest way to know what you need to put in your commands.cfg is execute the plugins from the linux command line (most will accept --help) to learn what switches they can use and so you can test the functionality. Have a read of the nagios 3.0 core doco as well it will go a long way to helping understand macros and commands :)