No Notifications Sent For Volatile Passive Service

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
derekbrewer

No Notifications Sent For Volatile Passive Service

Post by derekbrewer »

I have a recently ran into a scenario that had me somewhat perplexed as to what is going on. I have a SNMP Trap service configured that is passive only and is also set to volatile. Downtime was scheduled for this service and during the downtime window six traps came in and the service went to a critical state. No notifications were sent which was what I expected.

Once the downtime expired, the service remained in a critical state. It was noticed a few days later and a passive service check was submitted to set it back to an OK state. At this point, no notification was sent and I expected Nagios to do so. I recreated this scenario and behavior in my test environment and got the same results so I'm assuming this is working as designed.

I'm just trying to fully understand why it wouldn't send a notification. Is it the thought that since the service went to a critical state during a downtime window and didn't send notifications, then it shouldn't send a recovery notification later even though it wasn't in the window? Any further explanation is much appreciated.

Server:
RHEL6.4
Nagios 4.3.1
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: No Notifications Sent For Volatile Passive Service

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @derekbrewer. Can you share how the service is defined? I would like to make sure that you have the recovery notifications enabled.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
derekbrewer

Post by derekbrewer »

Here is the service definition along with it's templates.

Code: Select all

define service{
        hostgroup                       NETWORK_SWITCHES
        service_description             SNMP:Trap
        contact_groups                  email-network-team
        action_url                      /pnp4nagios/info/graph?host=$HOSTNAME$&srv=$SERVICEDESC$
        use                             snmptrap_service
        }

define service{
        name                            snmptrap_service
        use                             service_template
        check_period                    24x7
        notification_period             24x7
        is_volatile                     1
        flap_detection_enabled          0
        max_check_attempts              1
        check_command                   check_dummy!2!This is a passive check only.  Disable active checks to resolve.
        check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        active_checks_enabled           0
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        register                        0
        }

define service{
        name                            service_template
        max_check_attempts              5
        check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        check_period                    24x7
        notification_interval           30
        notification_options            w,c,r
        notification_period             24x7
        register                        0
        }
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@derekbrewer, If the service went to a critical state during the scheduled downtime and you haven't received a notification for that event, then you'll not receive a notification when it goes back up either. Even though this technically happened after the downtime was over. The recovery alert fires only if there was a critical alert.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
derekbrewer

Post by derekbrewer »

Thanks @npolovenko. I thought that was probably the case. I appreciate the explanation.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@derekbrewer, You're welcome. Thanks for using the support forum!