cannot connect to install_driver(Oracle) failed

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
hanover23

cannot connect to install_driver(Oracle) failed

Post by hanover23 »

Hello -

I'm running Nagios Core 4.3.4 and trying to get some Oracle database checks going on a Linux box.

I've seen a few other people run into a similar problem on these boards, but I can't quite seem to figure out what the missing piece here is. I am trying to use the check_oracle_health to connect to an Oracle database in tnsping mode. From the command line, I can get the following to return an OK status:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/custom/check_oracle_health --connect "name:port" --mode tnsping --
-user myuser --password mypass
However, from the Nagios web interface, I get the following:

Code: Select all

CRITICAL - cannot connect to <DB_NAME>. install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't locate DBD/Oracle.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/custom /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at (eval 13) line 3.
Perhaps the DBD::Oracle perl module hasn't been fully installed,
or perhaps the capitalisation of 'Oracle' isn't right.
Available drivers: DBM, ExampleP, File, Gofer, Proxy, Sponge.
at /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/custom/check_oracle_health line 4754.
I installed the Oracle 12.2 instant client, SDK and SQLPLUS (RPM versions) and then used CPAN to install DBD::Oracle module. I set the ORACLE_HOME, LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variables before installing the module via CPAN. The CPAN process seemed to complete without issue. I see Oracle.pm in /root/perl5/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DBD/Oracle.pm.

This is outside the @INC locations mentioned in the failing Nagios web entry above but i can't figure out how to make Nagios aware of this additional location...or make my Oracle.pm appear in say /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl.

I've seen the Nagios document for XI and installing Oracle checks, but I did those steps.

Any thoughts on what I'm missing? Thanks so much.
mcapra

Re: cannot connect to install_driver(Oracle) failed

Post by mcapra »

Passing the lib paths as part of the actual command execution is recommended.

Though this documentation says "Nagios XI", the same plugin is referenced and has some configuration steps:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Thanks @mcapra!

OP, let us know if you need any additional info.
hanover23

Post by hanover23 »

I figured it out...ultimately it was a problem with the way I had configured CPAN.

During initial setup, CPAN gives you the choice of where CPAN will install the downloaded Perl modules: local lib (the default), sudo, or manual. I chose local lib and as a result, CPAN was created under my local user profile and Perl modules installed via CPAN were put in my local user profile....and apart from where Nagios could/would find DBD::Oracle. The module had installed just fine...but when I installed it as root user, the module was put in /root, because I had chosen local lib when I first setup CPAN itself.

I blew away my /root/.cpan directory to reconfigure CPAN. This time I selected sudo, which would put downloaded Perl modules into the system libraries for Perl. This got Oracle.pm to show up where I needed it to.../usr/lib64/perl.

I also used instmodsh to list out the perl modules my server thought were installed. This might be a quirk of RHEL7 at the time of this writing, but when I tried to install DBD::Oracle at the bash shell prompt, I got a failure when it got to the make test part of install. If I went into the cpan shell and then installed DBD::Oracle there, it worked and Nagios began acting like it could load Oracle.pm.

The last step to get fully functional was to add the /usr/bin/env ORACLE_HOME=/path/to/my/home LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/my/lib to the individual check in checkcommands.cfg .Then everything started working perfectly!

Thanks for the help.
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

It sounds like this issue has been resolved. Is it okay if we lock this thread? Thanks for choosing the Nagios forums!